1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looking to plow

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by camarors8992, Feb 10, 2011.

1. camarors8992

camarors8992 Junior Member

My name is James, I'm new to this forum and I came here to seek advice from people who have been in my position to try and figure out what I want/need to do. I'm 21 years old, and I work for my family doing land development, but work gets very slow during the winter. I'm typically just laid off for the winter and left to sit around and do nothing, and rather than doing that I'd like to possibly set myself up for plowing next season. I'm familiar with heavy equipment, as I operate excavators, bulldozers, skid steers, ect... during the summer, and periodically during the winter I plow commercially with a front end loader for my uncle as a relief operator during storms.

I do not have my own plow truck right now, I typically borrow my grandfather's 04 sierra 2500hd with a snoway and pay him a cut of whatever I make. However, I've never plowed for myself, I don't know how the contracts work, I have no idea of the going rates, and I've never had to decide how to plow property, the banks have always already been there and I just copy who ever had plowed before me. I've discussed things with my father and maybe doing a partnership since he has experience plowing or maybe just see if he'll head out with me a few times and show me how things are done but all I can get out of him is " there's no money to be made". I find that hard to believe, I live in Upstate New York, we get snow constantly, there must be a way to make money. I'm not looking to get rich, I'm just looking for a way to bring in some extra money and get out there and do something for myself rather than getting laid off each winter.

I appreciate any advice..
  2. JRS Landscaping

JRS Landscaping Senior Member

The search button is your friend. you might be better off working for someone running a truck or as a sub to get experience, then maybe go out on your own with your own truck and ins if you like it.
  3. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

If you search you will find hours worth of reading on this and many other subjects. This site is a wealth of knowledge, and it's all archived.
  4. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

Welcome to plowsite, and yes the search butten has all the answers you are looking for, good luck.
  5. armyman12b

armyman12b Junior Member

i am brand new to this so take my advice with a grain of salt,,,,,, the expense of "going into buisness" to plow would take a while to turn a profit, i live in catt. county ny right in ski country tons of snow and even more plows and plow companies... at 21 would be a big expense/profit ratio.... my advice would be try to plow for someone else using their truck, or snowblower / shovel ect.... like i said i new too site and only plow 4 me, i have a state job so its just 4 my drive and my folks, but i see how much it costs too get started look into it...