1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looking to line up some plow work in NE PA

Discussion in 'Employment' started by BP73, Aug 18, 2015.

1. BP73

BP73 Junior Member
    from PA

I have a newer Silverado 1500 and plan on getting a plow as winter approaches. I have some plowing experience and I'm looking to make some coin once the white stuff starts to fall.
    I live in the Wilkes-Barre area and I am extremely reliable.
    Looking forward to hearing from you guys.

2. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

You are probably under-equipped for commercial snow removal. Maybe residential.

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Are you planning on the proper insurance as well?

4. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge PlowSite Veteran
    from NJ

First thing that came to mind....... for me, anyways..

Great minds think alike. :D

5. BP73

BP73 Junior Member
    from PA

I certainly will be insured.

6. dieselss

I would say, try working with a company first using there equipment before you take the expensive plunge

7. BP73

BP73 Junior Member
    from PA

I'm ok with spending some money to make some money.

8. dieselss

You realize, your first year or two or three you actually won't make any money.

9. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

You do know your auto insurance will not cover your plowing ?
    Tell your gent your business wants to go make money plowing other peoples drives and lots.

What is your business name?
    What, you don't have one?
    You better look into a LLC or something like it.

welcome,:waving: to the easy money maker, snowplowing.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
  10. BP73

BP73 Junior Member
    from PA

I DO have an LLC and have already talked to my insurance agent about the additional coverage I'll need.
    Although I'm new to the plowing industry, I have business experience and operate on the right side of the line.

11. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Good to know,

next , this will cause some discussion.
    Can a 1/2 ton plow, yes, is it a good choice, no.

Get a 3/4 ton or better, plowing is hard on a truck, no matter how it is driven.

Use a tool that can easily do the job not one that is going to be strained just caring a plow, counter weight, salt, snowblower and under a dead-line.

good luck...

12. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

There's plenty of guys that run 1/2t's and Jeeps, a 1/2t wouldn't be my1st choice but depending on the work such as resi's or small professional building/doctor/dentist property's it'll do fine. Just be prepared to be diligent when it comes to maintenance, replace frontend components and don't beat up the trans.

13. Lone136

Lone136 Senior Member

I started plowing with half ton and little did I know at the time what a toll it would be on the truck. A half ton will work, but it's hard on the truck. Youi would be better off if you could get a 3/4 and or a 1 ton. The bigger truck will leave you room to upgrade a to a larger plow in the future.. I now have a 1 ton F350 diesal with a 9.2 Boss v plow and a fisher 1000 spreader. I could use a larger spreader now if you know someone down there that has a fisher 2500 or larger for sale. I live in Clarks Summit.

Also if someone needs a hand here and there this year feel free to lat me know.. Also good luck this year

14. BP73

BP73 Junior Member
    from PA

I know a 3/4 ton is a better option, but that's not the tool I have.
    Other than future plowing, I don't really need the 3/4 ton. I like the ride and gas mileage of my 1500. Maybe if plowing works out for me, I'll consider the HD truck.

15. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Sell the tool you have and buy a different tool.

Get more tool than you need, one that doesn't have to be strained when the snow hits the ground.
    You can dig a ditch with a #2 or a backhoe,,,,

hoo the ride is so harsh,,,, whatever your roid needs....:waving:
    That argument has flown out the window.
    trucks before the 90"s rode like a truck, they now ride like a car . and add a plow and counterweight and it rides like a Cadillac.

Do you have any customers or are you looking to be a sub?