1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looking to install a remote stater

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Kuzanut, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Kuzanut

Kuzanut Senior Member

I have a 2010 ram 1500 with the 5.7liter Hemi. I am looking to install a remote starter but have no clue what i need. i looked on JCwhitney and they have unite ranging from $31 to almost $400. So i really dont know where i need to be looking. I am just looking for the remote start the truck already has keyless entry and i dont want an alarm.

2. Chiputz

Chiputz Senior Member

Go to an automotive accessory shop and get it put in.They do them up here for around $250. I bought one to put in my 2001 Ram 1500 and it's still in the box because of all the wiring taps that need to be installed. I have been turning wrenches for most of my life but I didn't want to tackle this one. Our local Dodge dealer won't even install them, they send them to the accessory shop. You have to tap into the wiring in numerous places and can cause some real headaches if it's not done right. Just my 2 cents worth.

3. BlueRam2500

BlueRam2500 Senior Member

Any reputable stereo shop should be able to help you out with a remote starter.

4. leepotter

leepotter Senior Member

Check with your dealer and see what it would cost there. They may only have to activate it in the computer and get you a new key fob with the start feature. This would probably cost more the going to a local accessory shop though.

5. jmbones

jmbones Senior Member
    from NE PA

^^ What he said. I would get a Mopar one from the dealer. It is made specifically for your vehicle and any problems go back to the dealer. Most times with Dodge you can use the same key as you do to physically start it. You may need a new key, but its not an additional remote you need to carry on your key chain, the start button is intergrated with the OEM key.

6. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

I'm with the last 2 guys. The aftermarket remote starts seem to go bad a few years down the road and can cause a mess of issues that I've seen (drain the battery, not allow it to start, etc.). Saying this I installed a remote start on my 04 and its not as hard as it sounds. There are tons of wiring schematics online that tell you what color wire does what, and you just match it up with the instruction of the remote start.

However, I would not do this on a 2010 with the new key fobs. They've been having enough problems with the key's not communicating with the win module as it is (they are on national backorder for over a month). Mopar does offer an almost plug and play kit that if your dealer installs will be covered under warranty. They range anywhere from $250 installed to $400 depending on how nice your dealer wants to be. This would be my recommendation.

7. Kuzanut

Kuzanut Senior Member

I talked to my dealer he wants 212 for the unit and then another 150 to install and reprogram the keys.
    Something to think about, Thank you all for your input.

8. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

I'm all about making your truck more reliable. IMO the remote start is nothing more than a crap shoot. One day it will break at the worst time and cause extensive down time.

Myself, run outside turn the key and run inside for a coffee. Never fails !!!!

9. leepotter

leepotter Senior Member

^^^^^ That works too. lol