1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looking to hire my first employees for next winter

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by prestige10, May 5, 2010.

1. prestige10

prestige10 Junior Member

I am looking to hire my first employees next year. Last year I just hired part time subcontractors to help me with my extra work. For next season Im looking to hire someone to work full time for me so that I can take a less involved position in the actual snow removal aspect of the company. Im just wondering how you guys pay your employees. Last season I worked 20 days in December, and only 5 days in February. My question is how do you keep quality employees with such unpredictable and unsteady work? I cant see someone willing to work 20 times in one month and once 5 times another month. Do you pay them a flat monthly salary, or do you pay them per hour?
  2. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Wait, you want to be less involved in the actual snow removal? what fun is that?

So you're going to pay yourself, a driver, and overhead.......We pay hourly, a few main guys are on salary over the year, with added hourly if they go over 20 a week in the winter.
  3. prestige10

prestige10 Junior Member

Haha it's no fun at all being removed from the actual snow removal! But I'm a full time student as well so it's hard to provide good customer service if I have to work it around my school schedule.. I figure this way I can maintain my grades, give good service and possibly take on a larger number of clients. One thing I was considering is still dong the ice management myself as well as supervising and leaving the actual snow removal to the employees.
  4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

We pay hourly.....no guarantees on hours
    Unless you can predict snow there is no way to predict hours
  5. ColumbiaLand

ColumbiaLand Senior Member

As we are in commercial landscaping we keep employees on all year long. We have several of our main guys on salary and after they work 25 hours on salary they start to get paid hourly. They do work everyday doing things around the shop when not engaged in snow removal. You have to pay to keep on good people. Seasonal contract can help with this as income is not a worry. The only other way if you could not keep people on full time like we do would be to use reliable subcontractors.