1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

looking to go out on my own plowing and salting this year in michigan

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by lark905lark, Jul 28, 2009.

1. lark905lark

lark905lark Junior Member

i ve been subcontracting the last 5 years. ive been working for a friend for the last 5 years he was paying me 50hr pushing and 60 a ton for salt. i have 2 trucks with spreaders and plows. im looking to go out on my own in michigan because i think im losing out on some money and my friend is not very helpfull. i prefer to do commerical. does anybody have any good tips for me maybe getting into doing banks or other types of commerical i just need some help to kinda point in the right direction. thanks for time.

2. Carlito

Carlito Member

Sorry i don't really have any tips for you but i'm curious to know what kind of equipment you have? (year/model etc) What does bulk salt go for down where you are? Does salt pricing fluctuate much during the season?

3. lark905lark

lark905lark Junior Member

i have 06 ford f250 western plow with salt dogg spreader. and 09 for f250 western plow and a western spreader. it does depending on the winter last year it did alot

4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Keep subbing. Less worries and the money is decent.