1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looking To Go Back To Dodges... Sway Me From Ford and GM

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by DeereFarmer, Jan 6, 2010.

1. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Well guys, I'm 21. I've owned 11 different trucks since I was 15. Let's just say that I like to sample everything. I'm now looking to buy a brand new truck this spring. I'm done buying used. Anyways, I have always loved Dodges but have seemed to end up with GMs or Fords. What I want to buy is a Ram 2500 regular cab (not sure if it'll be a diesel or not. Worth it?). How do you all like the newer Rams? How are the holding up plowing? All I see around here are GMs. There are a few token Fords and maybe one Ram. I have ruled a new Ford out. I don't like the V8 or V10 that they have and I'm not too excited about the new diesel they offer. They've just been making new diesel engines too often. So that leaves me with a GM (not a huge fan of the style) or the Ram. I'll be trading in both my King Ranch F350 and GMC 2500HD.
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
  2. DeereFarmer

Forgot to mention that my dad may also be buying a new Dakota as well, so opinions on those would be great as well. He'll just be using it as a commuter/light duty truck... no serious work or any plowing with it. That's what he has me for according to him.
  3. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

The only problem I am aware of with the new Dodge diesels is that the emissions equipment really chokes them up and costs mileage. I can't imagine it's any different with Ford or Chevy. The guys who remove the emissions equipment are reporting huge power and great fuel mileage.
  4. DeereFarmer

I'm pretty sure they don't emissions here in Mass for diesels (atleast I know they didn't this past year on my Ford) so I would think about pulling the emissions stuff if it didn't affect my warranty too much. I'm still in the air about getting a diesel. Is the Hemi plenty powerful enough? I'm not sure I can really justify the price change with a diesel. I bought my King Ranch thinking I'd pull massive trailers, but I only tow medium size trailers now and then. Mostly the only workout my truck would be getting is plowing. I knwot he diesel torque is a huge upgrade.
  5. CaptainSmokey

CaptainSmokey Senior Member

I have a 06 2500 and its doing just fine sofar ... put the procomp 2inch leveling kit on it and no sagging in the front. just ned some weight for the ass end ... and its a quad cab

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Take a 2010 with the 6.7l for a ride, I warn you to bring the cheque book. A few minutes behind the wheel is like falling in love for the first time again. EZ on the right foot for the turbo on the truck will never stop spooling!!! Yep I was so amazed for the power the newer trucks are making. In fact the first time I stood on the gas pedal I had a grin from ear to ear and still wear it every time I get in my truck!!! Not to mention that was two years ago!!!

Watch out for some of the newer Dakotas have had there share of issues. I would look into that purchase a little more!!!
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
  7. 99dodgeramsport

99dodgeramsport Junior Member

not sure of the truth behind it but I heard the new ram gas trucks have a lifetime warranty on drivetrain parts, could save some money in the long run
  8. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

tymusicI ordered a Dodge 2500 HD pickup with the 5.7 Hemi and 6 speed manual tranny. 4 wheel drive. I didnt bother with a diesel, and glad I didnt -pay the extra. I have equipped it with a 8.5 Myers V plow and a 8 foot sander in the back. I like the solid axle on the front and it handles a full load of sand. This was my first dodge ever. I wanted a manual tranny as I haul a 32 foot trailer in the summer up in to Northern Ontario on the weekends. However GM cut out the manual tranny in their regular body style. So I checked out Dodge and am happy so far.:nod: It has 20,000 Km on it, it plowing and hauling.
  9. SafetyLighting

SafetyLighting Senior Member

I have always had Chevy pickups and really liked them. I work part time in the fleet department at Central Dodge in Raynham, so when the new Ram was released I was able to put it through the paces. My next truck will be a Ram. I drove the 1500 though, so couldn't give you an opinion on the 2500. I will tell you that you can't beat the Cummins Diesel. If you are going to get a 2500, look at the Snow Chief package.
  10. DeereFarmer

Do they offer the Snow Chief Package for the 2010s? I didn't see it listed on the "build your own" on Dodge's website.
  11. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

Forgot to mention this truck has the Snow Chief package. Diff ratio is 4 10
  12. stillen

stillen Senior Member

I got the chance to drive a 2010, 2500, quad cab , Cummings, auto, the other day.... had the price tag of $51k...... this truck had so much power it was just amazing... I didn't beat on it because it was a company truck, but wow. if I had that kind of coin, there would be one in my driveway right now....looks incredible........

what i did learn recently is that I guess diesels aren't designed for short trips commuters. I was told that in order to take full advantage of the diesel engine it must be completely warmed up. I only commute 4 miles each way to work and home. My dealer told me that this was not the truck for me, even though i do pull occasionally on long trips. he said that by using a diesel primarily for shorter trips i'm not doing it any good.... i hope that made sense..

If i drove enough to warant a diesel, i would have one...
  13. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

The Hemi did get a power bump for 2010, and 383hp, 400ft.lbs torque. I would assume that it is quite a workhorse of an engine. As for 2010 and diesels, out of the big 3, the 6.7 Cummins is the only diesel in a HD

truck that has been 2010 emissions certified since its release in 2007, and is the only one that does not use Selective Catalyst Reduction and Diesel Exhaust Fluid (urea) to meet the standards. Also, you do get a

factory exhaust brake with the Cummins. And, the FAWR has gone up for the diesel equipped trucks, from 5200lbs to 5500lbs. Hemi HD's are still 5200lbs.

The lifetime warranty is no longer throughout the entire Dodge-Jeep-Chrysler lineup. It has been replaced by a 5yr/100,000 mile powertrain warranty (similar to GM).

Oh, and to stillen...there is no G in CUMMINS :)
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  14. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

If I ever got another dodge it would be a 6.7. I have a friend who has one and the thing absolutely kicks ass with the tuner and 4" straight pipe. 22mpg highway, and 16-17 around town are the last #'s I heard from him. Also that body style is by far dodge's best ever IMO. When it comes time for me to replace my current truck I would give the 6.7 a strong consideration.
  15. SafetyLighting

Hmmm, I'll find out in a lil while and let you know. I thought they were still offering it.
  16. DeereFarmer

That is my problem now with my Ford. I commute maybe 4 miles one way. I let my Ford diesel warm up for about 15 mins on high idle (which I know kills my mileage) and I'm getting about 9 MPG right now. In the summer I'll get up to 21 MPG on the highway on a trip or something. I'm thinking the Hemi might be just what I need. 383HP is impressive.
  17. SafetyLighting

Are you hauling anything on a regular basis?
  18. DeereFarmer

Nope. I'll haul a horse trailer once in a while and a few small boats and that'd be about it. The most I'd tow is my Uncle's 26ft travel trailer to NH once a summer.
  19. zeek

zeek Member

As you can see in my pic I have the new dodge 1500, I beat the heck out of it plowing and it works great. The new Hemi has way more power than you will need, I also pull my 30 foot boat with it. I wish I would have waited for the 2010 for the 2500, but they didn't know if it would have the new body style or not. They are sweet, just go drive the chevy first then go drive the dodge, its a tough truck, and like they said it has the lifetime warrenty on the power train.
  20. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

Lifetime warranty was dropped for 2010. 5yr/100,000 is in its place.