1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looking to get a plow.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by akslinger, Dec 23, 2005.

1. akslinger

akslinger Junior Member

I've been mulling over getting a plow for my tuck. I really wanna do this on the side. I am a mortgage broker during the day and winters are always slow. My truck is paid for so I thought buying a plow over 3 years won't kill me. I went to all our local plow locations, weingartz was the only one that had them. They told me about 4500 for a flat Boss plow, installed. I don't know the model number as of yet, I'll be getting into that Monday.

I may get a business going, but I don't really wanna do contracts as I dont want it to interfere with my day job. I plan on doing this before and after work. I got a 91 GMC 2500 4x4 Excab. I just had a new tranny installed and replaced the tranny cooler. Other than that, it's a stock truck. I do have BFG all terrains on it.

Am I missing anything else?
  2. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

Just make sure you think carefully about balancing your customers and your full time job.

I also do it on the side and I can tell you straight out that you cannot compete with guys who are available to plow all the time. That means you are basically out of luck with commercial customers. Anyone with a business usually sets a pretty low trigger, 1 or 2 inches, because they don't want their customers slipping and falling. They want you there when the white stuff flies, not after you get out of work.

That leaves you basically with residential. Again, a balancing act. Suppose you end up with 6 customers who all tell you they need to get out for work in the morning and they expect you to have their driveway done before 6am? Sure, you can get up at 3am and do your rounds, but if those 6 customers live far apart and it's snowing heavily.....well I think you get the point by now.

I'm not trying to discourage you in any way, I'm just giving you the benefit of my experience as a guy who's already rowing around in the same boat you're about to get into. Next thing, $4,500 over 3 years, probably plus interest. Now, divide that up by 3. That'll tell you how much money you have to make each season just to pay for the plow. Then there's gas, the never-ending maintenance you must do, the several hundred dollars more per year you'll have to pay for insurance if you get proper coverage, higher registration cost for commercial plates if required in your state, etc.

Unless you're very well known locally, have connections or are just plain lucky, in your first year it's very unlikely you'll be able to establish an immediate regular customer base to cover your expenses. In fact, maybe not even in your second or third year either. Of course, I don't know your area or circumstances, so I may be wrong. I'm giving you the scenario based on the fact that most of us run in the red for the first few years. There are always exceptions, this is America, anything's possible.

Just food for thought. Good luck to you if you decide to do it. :salute:
  3. akslinger

akslinger Junior Member

Being my current schedule is pretty flexible, I can work early or late. As long as I make an appearance for a few hours it's ok.

I dont wanna compete with the full timers. And I understand why I can't. I dont even want commercial customers. They want me there on their schedule and I can't do that.

The way I see it if I can get to all the customers before my day job starts, I will. All I gotta do it budget my time. I get what you are saying. I just gotta watch it.

I did some figuring on the prices. The way I see it, my payment is about 150.00 a month. I'm only gonna be carrying commercial ins for 3 months out of the year, the rest of the year I wont have a plow on it and it will jst be the plow payment. no big deal. Plus, the dealer I am going with has 90 days deferred payments. If I get the plow now, I wont have a payment due till March. Still a good deal.

Fortunatly, I do have connections. Being in sales, I do have my former customers and my co-workers. I also know my co-workers will referr me to others who might need this service. Plus, I know one guy personally that goes out and rolls neighborhoods and brings in 500.00 a night on the big snows. so, worst case, I'll do that. But, once I get back into spring, my mortgage pay will cover the plow. Right now, being christmas, things are slow. but once summer picks up we will be rocking again. Actually, I hope to have the plow paid off by next winter. Then I own it free and clear.

I appreciate the insight. Hope to talk to you more here.
  4. dbdrgr150

dbdrgr150 Member

where are you at north of detroit? i know there is a blizzard 7'6" not sure if it is a LT or HD but it is in oakland county about five minutes north of i 75 on M24/ Lapeer road which is exit 81 in lake orion at the true value i think they want like 2600 or 2700 installed.
  5. danny17

danny17 Member

Yeah where are you located and what weingartz did you go to? Utica?
  6. akslinger

akslinger Junior Member

I went to the Waterford one.
  7. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

most guys i know that finace plows can pay them off in a year...i know my cuz bought his plow and pait it off with 5 storms...he has a 7.5 footer western on a 03 2500HD..i am planin on payin my plow on my GF truck off and maybe the one that i find for my truck...its all what ur willing to do...like i personaly would rather not make anymoney in the bank this year but help my credit by havin my plow paid off in full b4 the first year...
  8. iakentdoz

iakentdoz Senior Member

same here rfed32,

just got my loan last week, it's for 2 years but I planing to have it paid off in the first year. Plus it will look good on my credit report to pay off early.
  9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Think about using your Credit card. Most of them will offer a great rate for 6 months or so. Pay everything you make after expenses to the card and then you only have to make minimum payments on the balance till next winter. Plus their regular rates are not that much worse then the banks on small short term notes.