1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looking To Expand

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by thundercat99, Jan 29, 2004.

1. thundercat99

thundercat99 Senior Member

This year ive got one truck out wont be enough to cover nexct years accounts what should i do ?

Ive got a chevy dually with a BLIZZARD 8-10

one of my buddys is putting a plow on his z71 probaly a 7-1/2
    he is going to sub for me.

I got a buddy with a bobcat with a dozer blade that will sub for me for appartments and condos also has a 40ft dump if i need it for removal But nothing to load the dump with.

Ive got a3 or 4 shovel guys

I have 2 24in snow blowers old but work good

WHAT SHOULD I BUY NOW ???

I was thinking about buying another truck maybe a 3/4 with a 8ft blade it would realy help to have a 3 trucks ive got a couple churchs to do that are pretty big

Im putting a salt spreader on my dually a tailgate spreader probally 600lb for the smaller stuff

I was thinking a 2 ton dump with a spreader would be a big help When i sub for a buddy he sends me out with one and it clears the big stuff and i chase him around for evertrhing else It also has a salter on it and seems to make him alot of money saves time to bigger blade and all what to do

2. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation Senior Member

Buy a truck that you can and will use all year. If you buy a 2 ton do you have a place to keep it , a lot of areas have zoning restrictions . I have trucks ranging from a toyota to a international 2 ton they each have their good and bad points.
    It realy depends on the type , and amount of work you have and what you will do with the equipment the rest of the year.

3. thundercat99

??????????

My acounts go as fowlows

2 churchs wich are big lots need at least 2 pickups could be done with one pick up and a 2ton with salter

condo project bobcat and pickup shovel crew

7 drives with walks one truck with shoveler

restuarnt with small shopping center maybe a 75 parking spaces and some side walks

they all need to be salted and plowed except driveways

Do you think a 1 ton dump with a 9ft blade and under tailgate salter would get me buy for a couple seasons i dont want to break the bank on trucks i figure a small dump could be used as a second truck for almost everything i got and would cover most of my salting but would it be big enough to stack

4. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

That all sounds like a 1 truck job to me. Are these accounts all spread out or are they localized?

How big are these churches? I have a church that is one of the biggest in Lake County. It is in my back yard practically. The lot would be the size of a multiplex theater, maybe 200 cars. I have one truck bang it out in just over an hour. So, two of those churches, call it 3 hours. The condo project should take a truck and maybe a bobcat for stacking. The restaurant and shopping strip mall call an hour with one truck.

Sounds like you could get away with one truck and a bobcat it you wanted to get tight with it. Maybe 2 trucks and a bobcat if you have money to burn. Put one truck at the condo and one at the churches and restaurant. When that truck is done, have him help at the condos. When you are all done with the condos have both trucks go out and do drives. All in all you should have 8 hours work for both trucks.

I guess without actually seeing the accounts I couldn't tell you how many trucks you will need. Just an educated guess.

5. thundercat99

???????

the churches are at the least 2 hour pushes but plenty of room to go with the snow a buddy of mine used to push them years ago

I guess i dont realy need another truck to push if my buddy subsfor me but im trying to look att the big picture these acounts are locked in already for nexct year but im hoping to pick up more buisness. I dont want to sell my self short my biggest problem is going to be salting i only have one spreader just a tailgate. i realy could use something to spread bigger and faster

i dont know but i got a little time to figure it out but more buisness means more money

6. Plow Meister

Don't you live on the south side? I know I talked to you a while ago. Maybe you should come to my Chicago get together and we can spens a few minutes talking about this subject.

7. Mdirrigation

I have 1 big church and on saturday night /sunday snows All my equipment heads there first. I have 8 hours work per truck on 6 inches of snow . But I have a back up truck just in case of a problem . I used it last weekend just to have the church open for 7 am mass. You are working with a friend , thats great. But anything can happen have a spare truck as back up .

8. thundercat99

????

what kind of trucks are you running whats your back up

9. Mdirrigation

I run a 93 international 2 ton ,88 ford 1 ton and a 93 ford 1 ton, I keep a toyota as a back up and a john deere 310 backhoe . I had to use the toyota this past week, I lost a seal on the pump of the 88 ford. My help just went back to the shop and grabbed the toyota , only lost 45 minutes in down time. fixed the ford later that day. I have always had 1 truck sitting back in the event of a problem or a real heavy snow I send them out in pairs .

10. Landscape80

Landscape80 Senior Member

Plow Meister....

How do you get 200 spaces done in less than an hour? All straight pushes maybe? Can't be any islands to cut around...please enlighten me...

Chris

11. thundercat99

?????

whats a 2 ton like you have run you?
    what do you do your salting with?

12. Plow Meister

No, no islands. Just a few light poles. And I think I underestimated the size. I think it is closer to 300 spaces. Honestly, it is the easiest lot I have. Just push it to the left. It is an L shape lot. Inside the L is the church. Just follow the sidewalk path around the church and angle to the left. I have pro-wings too. They help out a ton! Also understand we haven't been getting more than 6 inches fro the last 2 years. Plus, that 1 hour doesn't include salting time. That would be another 15 minutes. I have another truck to do the heavy salting. I just do smaller strip malls with my truck. With only 2 to 3 inches on the ground, I have cleaned that church in less than an hour (although not by much);)

13. Mdirrigation

Re: ?????

The International is great it has a better turning radius that the fords do and its longer. I have a v box on the back of the international I made side boards for it I load it with 3 tons and throw a extra ton in front of it. Its an auto trans its a pleasure to drive

14. thundercat99

does anybody run a chevy 3500hd dump trhink im going to buy one this summer if nowbody tells me anything bad im a chevy guy any way. I think its the way to go for me covers my salting and what not.

15. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I would suggest two things:

First develop a Snow Response Plan. This will list all current acounts, equipment and personnel available; then show when and how your accounts are going to be serviced. By putting it down, you will get organized and avoid "forgetting" that the piece of equipment for this job will still be at the other job.

Second - Now that you've decided what you need for your current accounts, you're ready to develop a Business Plan. This will detail exactly what you have and will need to get, potential for growth and provide a map for financial concerns.

Mainly, with these you're going to avoid the "Well, maybe this" and "Or maybe that". Not to say you can't make changes, since both are meant to be flexible, but it will provide guidance as you grow. The Business Plan is especially helpful in keeping you on track and avoid getting off on tangents. You might also want to contact your local Small Business Administration for help with developing the Plan.

16. capital

capital Senior Member

We Run 4 Chevy 3500 dually's. Three are with 9.2 Boss V blades with one having a 9' straight blade. Two of the trucks toe skid loaders with blades to job sites while two have flat beds set up for snow removal. IE built in storage areas for snow blowers with other areas dedicated to de icing material and shovels. One of the duallys is a 99 and only problem we have had is with normal wear and tear on the joints. We do a lot of maintenance on the vehicles based on how many push's they have done in the course of a winter. This winter they are on their 2nd tranny flush and about 4th oil change do to all the 4 wheel drive usage. If you take care of your truck it will take care of u..

17. thundercat99

my goal for the coming season is a chevy 3500hd dump and hope to outfit it with another blizzard 8-10 and hydralic spreader we will see how it goes