1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looking to expand equipment

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by tru450, Dec 22, 2013.

1. tru450

tru450 Junior Member

After this 7 inch snow fall the northern Illinois region just had I'm quickly realizing I need a push box. My solo truck w/ straight blade operation isn't effectively handling bigger snows. The parking lots I have now are not a simple layout. Needing a skid steer / tractor with a push box to maneuver.

What would you guys recommend? Saw a pretty sick JCB 4 wheeler with a 12 foot pusher this morning that could handle its own, but not sure that's suited for me as of yet. I don't want anything underpowered, that's for sure.

Which push box do you love, and why? Rubber edge or metal?

Direction is desperately needed!

2. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

If it's your only machine I would go with a skid for sure. Size would depend on what you need in the summer.. no matter what I would look for cab/heat and 2speed with tired not tracks.. I like steel edge, boss, snow wolf, kege or artick.

3. tru450

tru450 Junior Member

I would be using for summer as well. Why not use tracks, though?

4. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I personally would choose a 4x4 farm tractor, Kubota, Kioti, Deere, etc. 50 to 80 hp range. Enclosed cab with heat and ac, and hydrostatic if possible. This would allow for year round use with a multitude of fairly inexpensive attachments.
    Not the least of which would be a snowblower on back and a bucket/pusher on front.
    The resale or collateral is higher too.

5. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

6. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

We use tracks for the summer so that's what we purchased, less ground disturbance

7. Chineau

Chineau Senior Member

I have no personal experience with tracks but have not heard anything good to make me consider them. If you look in the thread what did you do today there is a picture of my s250 with the ten foot snow box on the front.

8. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

I've got a Cat with tracks and it goes great in the snow. We use it quite a bit and we also do a lot in the summer and the tracks are awesome. It's for sale as well. Pm me for details

9. sk187

sk187 Senior Member

I had rubber on all my push boxes originally and have changed them all to poly edges.

Rubber can not cut down hard pack as well as poly edges and poly is more forgiving than metal.

Metal is great if your boxes have trip edges but all of mine are rigid so poly is the solution.

As for tracks, they are great in the summer, awful in the winter. The opposite is true for tires.

10. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

Tracks are good for summer work but suck in the winter. They are also much more maintenance houngry. Farm tractors are great but if you don't farm a skid is much more universal. The skid is also much more maneuverable and easier to transport. .. what will you be using it for in the summer? Also so know a skid it built much tougher than a farm tractor.

11. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Just thought I'd ask quick, rather then spend 20-307k, why don't you spend 7k on a V plow......much better, and see how that goes?

12. tru450

tru450 Junior Member

I originally was going to get a 9 foot 2 inch Boss v plow for my 450 dually. Was almost 8 grand installed. So I looked around for a plow truck. Found a 2000 F350 4 door 8 foot bed with a 7 foot 6 inch Boss straight blade for 10 thousand out the door. Has the 7.3 diesel. New tires, new belt, new alternator, belt tensioner, upgraded air flow, new leaf springs on the rear. Plow was in decent condition as well. Couldn't really pass it up. And now I have a second work truck.

The skid steer has been a growing need for a couple years now. I'm not getting any younger and am needing to put up the shovel when it comes to moving bigger piles of whatever. I could also expand opportunities with the right equipment. The addition of a skid steer would also require another trailer purchase as I currently have a 7x16 enclosed.

13. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Have you used the CCLB yet? I want one, but am too concerned about plowing with it, seems too long to me. I personally would go with a S205 bobcat.

14. Showmestaterida

Showmestaterida Senior Member

sk187,
    see the new tak wheeled skid steer, How u liking it? pros /cons?

15. CPC

CPC Junior Member

I would go with a skid loader. cat skid loaders are great with the tracks (they're not rigid like bobcats are) and wont tear anything up in the summer. other wise go with wheels, we have a bobcat s185. it works great on anything under 4 inches pushing a 10ft push bucket. if I had my choice I would have gotten a s250, you need the little more power that it has. also make sure you get a 2 speed, I couldn't imagine plowing without a 2 speed. the push bucket has a solid mount steel cutting edge, it scrapes great but really sukcs when you hit a manhole. so definitely get something with a trip edge, I have never used a rubber cutting edge so no advise from me here. you can pick up a trailer to haul a skid loader pretty cheap, we use a car trailer to haul ours and It works great.

16. tru450

tru450 Junior Member

I'm seeing these all wheel drive skids from Bobcat. Worth looking into or stick to regular?

EDIT: After noticing the price for the A770 I'm thinking I'll stick to looking at S185 thru S250's. Unless anyone else has a better option?
    I know Bobcat has a nice sized dealer here and I'm assuming great support. There's also a Cat dealer here but driving by makes me stay away. Never see anyone there and it looks like it's gonna close shop any day, been that way for years.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2013