1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

looking to by a 03 f-250 v-10

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by kuryssnow5, Aug 19, 2007.

1. kuryssnow5

kuryssnow5 Member

im looking at a f-250 4 door short box with the v-10. what is the average mpg on this truck?

i have a 2500hd with the 6.0L and it get 11 on a good day and 8 or 9 when pulling or during the winter with all the equipement on it

i was told the v-10 gets 11 no matter what you are doing with it. is this true?
    i tried to look online and see what the mpg is but cant find anything.

any help will be great thanks

2. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I have an '01 V10. I get an average of 14.5 no matter if I'm on the highway or around town but that is with 3.73 gears. City goes down a bit, but that's expected. It hardly drops when towing. I've pulled 5K lbs. on the highway at 65 MPH and got an average of 13.7. The engine itself is amazing. I love it. Tons of power and get up and go. By far my favorite gas engine. Good luck.

3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Best I get plowing with my V-10 is 7-8. In town the rest of the year is 10-11. highway is 14. The V-10 is the best engine I have ever had for power. Check out the V-10 forum at www.ford-trucks.com
    Great site and plenty of info

4. droptine

droptine Member

I Get 12.1 city and 12.4 hwy @ 70mph. I bought this truck 4 months ago so I haven't plowed with it yet. All the power you can want.

5. snowman2025

snowman2025 Senior Member

i don't know about the the v-10, but your old diesel must have had somehting wrong with it. it shouldn't have had that bad of fuel mileage. on 05 6.0L 350 dually with 4.10 gears and a manual i get 17 mpg no matter what i'm doing with it.

6. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I guarantee your MPG won't be better then the 6L. My buddy has one and he loves the truck but says it'll pass anything except the gas station. He pull a 26ft landscape trailer and says he gets around 6-8 mpg and when empty gets 12-13 mpg. His other truck an 02 Powerstroke gets 11-12 mpg pulling the same trailer.

7. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

If I could go back, I would have looked for a V-10 instead of the 5.4L. Mine does just fine but I could use a little more power pulling out enclosed trailer around. I heard from a lot of guys locally getting 10-12mpg pulling or not.

8. DeereFarmer

The 6.0 in a Chevy truck is a V8 gas engine just to let you guys know.

9. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

They are talking about Ford's 6.0 diesel. The engine with alot of problems. Can't wait to see how the 6.4 will do.

10. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I'm pretty sure a 2500HD is a GM and the 6L is the base gas engine in a HD.

11. snowman2025

sorry, guys, disregard my earlier post, was thinking he meant the 6.2L duramax.

12. snowman2025

tell your buddy to get a superchip, gett a lot better fuel mileage, around 15 - 17 with trailer

13. mike psd

mike psd PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

you can do that if running stock exhuast you'll have higher egts . so replace that with min 4 inch . wicked wheel just a few things that help in towing dept . there most but the question how fat is your wallet?

14. DeereFarmer

But kuryssnow doesn't have a diesel. Im confused! He's got a Chevy 6.0 gas and wants a Ford V10.

15. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Funny he has the superchip, but it's a dually with a dump box on it and it's a deck over trailer with 4 front mount mowers on it and all his other mowing equipment.

16. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

These 6.2 Duramax's are they a good motor, never heard of one. LOL

17. kuryssnow5

kuryssnow5 Member

thanks for the info guys on all your v-10
    sorry i didnt put chevy before the 2500hd on my first post
    so average gas city for v-10 is 11-15mpg or around there, as long as it gets the same or better than my 11mpg
    thanks for the help

18. snowman2025

bah, whatever the duramax is.:rolleyes:

19. mike psd

mike psd PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

duramax is 6.6l
    6.5 and 6.2 are detroit diesel products

20. DeereFarmer

Are those Detriot Diesel 6.5s any good? I've heard that they are dogs of a motor. Sorry for the thread hijack!