1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looking to buy Saltdogg

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by sven1277, Jan 1, 2013.

1. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

I'm thinking of buying an SHPE 2000 or 2250. The latter is heavier duty but I would like insight from you guys who use them and what you think. I believe the spreader will see 15-30 ton a year run through it. Thanks.
  2. newhere

newhere PlowSite.com Addict
    from Fenton

Some one has a lightly used 2000 just posted for sale. Two of his trucks were in a wreck and he bought it as back up until the others get fixed.

Look for his post. He has a real good price on it.
  3. grassmaster06

grassmaster06 Senior Member

i purchased a 2000 model this year and its great once you learn the spreader.good spread pattern and the salt flows with no issues yet (i spread about 18 tons with it already this season) i was looking at the 2250 model too, but it cost alot more and my 06 f350srw diesel wouldn't be able to handle anything bigger .the 2000 fully loaded is really heavy even with timbrens.now if its going on a dually or stake truck or something i would get the 2250 because thats what it pretty much made for . the 2000 is a great spreader for the price and its all stainless and poly so nothing to rust unlike my snow ex frame /auger
  4. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

It will be going in a 1 ton to replace a western pro flo 2
  5. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Overall,they're Ok.On my 4th year with my 1500 now.Get the white faced analog controller no matter what your dealer says about the digital one.Also,change out the 2 connectors in the rear with Scotchlock ones ASAP as the factory originals SUCK.They all spread heavy on the drivers side and the spread width is not anywhere as advertised.
  6. siteworkplus

siteworkplus Senior Member
    from mass

got a 2000 poly/elec last year LOVE IT no issues(knock on wood) spread pattern issue was cured with simple homemade spinner mod i posted last year. I have spread about 35 ton of 50/50 mix so far this year. straight salt would be easier i would think.
  7. SnowGuy

SnowGuy Senior Member
    from NW Ohio

siteworkplus, What was your mod for the spreader. I have 2 of them. THANKS !!!
  8. siteworkplus

siteworkplus Senior Member
    from mass

Hey snowguy, I posted a pic back on 1-9-2011 in a thread "salt dogg spreading issues"

Not tech savy enough to know how to forward the pic

The pic is on post #35

Good thread to read if you own a salt dogg

Let me know if you cant find it and I will give you all the design details and figure out how to re-post the pic

Very simple mod & it works well
  9. underESTIMATED

underESTIMATED Senior Member

I bought the 2250 this year, after having the same questions. One of the main differences than sold me on the larger unit, was the full length auger and no baffles to mess with.

So far, I have spread about 6 tons through it and no issues at all. I leave some salt in it tarped off. Some people have an issue with their 2000's freezing the salt inside, so I wouldn't recommend storing it inside the unit if you don't use it all.

Like someone else posted, getting used to the spreader controller was my hardest thing. After a few first runs earlier in the season, I found the sweet spot for most lots.

I came from the TGS07 unit, that doesn't have an auger, but blast and spreader speed. That was a PITA if you wanted to spot treat some concern areas. I quickly sold that unit after vowing to never use bags again.
  10. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

Hey where do you get the Scotchlock connectors your talking about? ya got a website? I asked this question about better connectors years ago. Hav visited 2day after a long hiatus. I bought my Salt Dogg1500 years ago before they even came out w/ the updated heaVY duty spinner motors.