1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looking to buy my first Plow

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by calebtk, Feb 11, 2014.

1. calebtk

calebtk Junior Member

So I have a 2014 Tundra Crewmax 4x4 and also a 2009 F-250 RWD. I know I need 4x4 for snow so I'm trying to decide if I should get a newer 3/4 or 1 ton truck or if I can throw the Boss Sport Duty plow.

I do mostly driveways right now but have several commercial accounts that I could do snow removal for. They are mostly small strip malls and retail centers and a few larger mfg. properties. Would a V plow be worth the extra money?

Looking for suggestions on plows that work well with wet snow as we don't get a ton of dry snow in KC. Lots of wet stuff, and ice too. Also do the plows designed for the 1/2 ton trucks work very well.

Thanks for all your responses.

2. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

A BOSS V is worth Gold. I will never buy a straight plow again.

3. BossPlowMaster

BossPlowMaster Senior Member

I agree that a boss is worth gold.... You cannot out plow a v plow in any means.

4. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

A V plow is definitely worth the extra expense. I think for your truck you'd have to get a Meyer VLD, or a Snowdogg VMD. Both good plows, and the Snowdogg is stainless, which I like because it will always look new.

5. CowboysLC_DE

CowboysLC_DE Senior Member

The Tundra is considered a 3/4 ton by Toyota so you should be fine with an 8'2" power v. I've never owned and never plan to own a 4x2, unless I get to be such a big company that I have lawn trucks and plow trucks.

I also doubt that you could pick up those accounts this late in the season. You best bet is to just wait until July or August and get the best deal on your plow. By the time you make your decision and your dealer has the time to put the plow on it will be the last week of February or first week of March. i.e. your not going to make your money back this season.

Michael

6. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

I wouldnt go with the sport duty if you get wet heavy snow. I was at a dunkin last storm there was only 2 inches of wet heavy stuff . A guy was tring to plow with a jeep with a sport duty boss. The thing was laid down more than it was plowing. He finaly gave up and left. I dont know if it was adjusted wrong or what but it was painfull to watch.

7. JustJeff

You are SO WRONG. There is no way that truck is a 3/4 ton truck. Where in the hell do you get your information from? It's got a 4,000 lb front end. I don't know any 3/4 ton trucks with a 4,000 pound front end. He would SEVERELY overload his truck with a 8'-2" Boss V.

8. calebtk

calebtk Junior Member

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. The Boss and Western sites both put me on there light duty 7'6" straight blade. I just don't want to spend 4k now and then a year from now wish I had gotten a bigger plow on a 3/4 ton truck.

9. JustJeff

OP, I don't see a problem with you doing either, putting a medium duty v blade on your existing truck, or getting a 3/4 ton truck with a full-sized blade. I would think that with a landscaping company you could easily find use for a 3/4 or even 1 ton truck. And if that's the case, that's the route that I'd go personally. I always go at least one size bigger than I need, because for some reason I always seem to grow into it. Whether it be with a trailer, a garage, or a truck. You always seem to find a reason to "go more". But that being said, your truck with a medium duty v plow will work fine for quite some time as long as you don't treat it like it's a bigger truck/plow.

10. CowboysLC_DE

I don't waste my time looking up specs on other people's trucks. But when ever Tundra commercial shows how they are built to compete with 3/4 ton trucks, I can assume that they can take on the same weight loads. On their website they have a 2000+ lbs payload and a 10,000+ lbs towing capacity, exactly the same as 3/4 ton trucks. Are you telling me they put little springs in the front after putting in a heavy duty transmission and heavy suspension in the rear? If that was the case then the truck isn't built to be worked.

Michael

11. JustJeff

Yes. I'm saying that you don't know ****. Quit watching t.v. commercials. A 10K towing capacity is EXACTLY what half-tons are rated to tow. Mine is 18,000. That's the difference between a half-ton and a three quarter ton. Toyota does not offer a 3/4 ton truck and never has. Quit spreading misinformation.

12. CowboysLC_DE

try sleeping on the other side of the bed. Nobody had stated that it only had a 4000lbs FGVWR until after I made my statement.

Michael

13. JustJeff

That's irrelevant. The point is, you're telling somebody what kind of plow to buy and how his truck will be fine with it based on no or incorrect information. If you don't know what you're talking about, don't comment. Plain and simple.

14. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

There is a 2014 Tundra Crew Max in my area that has a 7.5' Boss V plow on it and it handles the plow great. I believe it has stock suspension because it doesn't sit any higher than stock but, it could have Timbrens. I think you will be fine with a 7.5' Boss V plow and you could even put wings on it as well if you want the extra width. You could also get a set of Bilstien 5100's for it and then you wouldn't have any doubt about it handling a bigger plow.