1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looking to buy compact wheel loader

Discussion in 'Used Plowing and Truck Equipment Forum' started by hardwoodcd, Sep 28, 2014.

1. hardwoodcd

hardwoodcd Senior Member

Looking for CAT 906, 908 or DEERE 244, 304. Let me know what you have.

2. Patrick34

Patrick34 Senior Member

I have a cat 906 for sale if interested.

3. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Annes has one on West Ave, you've probably saw it already. Im sure he wants some serious $$$ for it though

4. hardwoodcd

hardwoodcd Senior Member

I have talked to him already on that machine. It's real nice and a bit more than I'd like to pay. But I may end up with that one if I don't find something else.

5. PALS Landscapin

PALS Landscapin Senior Member

I had a Cat 906 and now have a 244J. I like the Deere alot better.

6. hardwoodcd

hardwoodcd Senior Member

This seems to be the consensus that I have found out with the reading I've done on here. But sometimes availability and budget make the decision! All my skiddys are cats so there's that too.

7. vtscaper

vtscaper Junior Member
    from VT

I am going back and forth on 908 or 324. Any reviews would be great.

8. usmcdroach

usmcdroach Member

Did you find a loader? Family member of mine has a 2010 cat 908

9. hardwoodcd

hardwoodcd Senior Member

I bought someone else's headache! And now it's my headache! My mechanic is working through it slow but sure. I bought a 2007 244j. Engine is making power but it's not getting to the wheels. Only goes about 10mph in 2nd with no load. Slow down to about 5-6mph just going up the slightest incline. Drops to about 4mph pushing a box. My mechanic is troubleshooting things.

10. usmcdroach

usmcdroach Member

Good luck. But doesnt sound good

11. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

How many hours are on it? These little bastards get expensive fast when stuff breaks.

12. 512high

512high Senior Member

* sorryfor your issues, i bought a 2011 244j, last year with 1,900 hrs, no issues, sounds stupid, any maintenance records? Hydro fluid and filter should be changed every 2,000 hours, 2 nd gear, yes ,should be about 19mph(we can get rolling to 20-22mph flat, uphill, dogs down. With that said hopes its something simple, any codes on monitor? I have a friend that has a few issues with his 2010 cat 906h, with 900 hrs, trying to say, crap happens, keep us posted

13. hardwoodcd

hardwoodcd Senior Member

I was backed into a corner when i bought this. Work committed to and no machine. So this was sight unseen and speed to me. Biggest financial mistake ever! It's got a bunch of hours, 8000. Like i said, my guy is on it. John deere is unbelievable at removing anything that might help someone out from the Internet. So we ended up ordering a manual, $400! I passed on one that was even in my own town with 1700 hours on it but my guy told me to pass and i trust him completely with my equipment.

14. ShaneysLawnCare

ShaneysLawnCare Senior Member

I have a 324J 200 hours on it now, this is our first attempt with small loaders, We love it, if its colder the Hydro fluid does not like it and will only go about 14-15 vs 19 we have a BX-12 with custom quick-attach plate on it and the thing is amazing!! And the bonus is it is less then half of our 544's and 1/3rd the cost of 644's
    About the actual machine, the turning radius is amazing!
    power is good we had an issue when we first got it the fuel filters were junk (loader sat on the lot 1 year before be purchased it)
    plenty of power for the 12' until you get about 6" of snow or more on the 1500ft runs its a little tough for it not really power wise but weight wise
    Any questions and if you are near Wisconsin and want to take a look at it come up to Green Bay/Appleton area and Ill let you hop in

Edit* Also I didnt see original post date sorry

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  15. JSC Inc

JSC Inc Junior Member

If you find out what the power loss issue is on the Deere please let me know. I have a Volvo L25B and it has the same exact problem. It runs great with no load on flat ground or down hill, but under a load or up hill it's a dog. The engine doesn't seem to be the issue either

16. ShaneysLawnCare

ShaneysLawnCare Senior Member

Something we are trying for the rest of the winter which isnt cheap is we are running a lite weight Hydralic oil so the cold temperatures cannot effect the flow rates in the pumps. The only problem with this is we have to switch it ever spring and fall due to it not being good above 70 degrees it works up to 104 but my deere guy said its not worth the risk just switch it out.

17. JSC Inc

JSC Inc Junior Member

Does the thin oil make a big difference in power to the wheels?

18. viper881

viper881 Senior Member

Had the same problem but with a JD 310 backhoe. Ended up being the parking brake wasnt releasing all the way. Could be the problem, but a totally different machine of course. Is the park a manual lever, or does it have to build up pressure to release?

19. JSC Inc

JSC Inc Junior Member

It's a starting place to look. I imagine the brake is a manual lever/cable style. The actual brake is a single disc on the drive shaft

20. viper881

viper881 Senior Member

That's what my case is also. Tap it with a hammer and it can loosen it up usually. If that doesn't work probably not the problem.