1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

looking to buy a user skidsteer

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by 09dieselguy, Aug 25, 2010.

1. 09dieselguy

09dieselguy Senior Member

im looking at mostly a bobcat as they are proven over and over again as well as service is all over the place. looking at either a wheeled a300 or similar size. something that i will use mainly for snow removal and plowing. it will be used once and a while for yard work as well so i have to be soft on the property of customers. i would also like to get into land clear so the tracks would maybe be a better descion. i am looking at track machines as well.

another machine i have interest in is a deere 332 with tracks.
    new holand 185 but heard they arent worth their weight at scrap.

what insight does anyone have to offer on this topic. i will but a machine used or new if its a good deal. but if i buy new i will be sure to get the asv style tracks for the snow.

if i buy used how many hours are to many on a machine. most i see are around 1800-2100 hours. that seems to be alot to me but i am not looking to make a living using the machine solely for work. mostly be used for snow so i can use the machine free in the summer months with the entire year payments being made from snow.

please give a first time skidsteer owner some insight please.

2. 09dieselguy

44 people and no one has anyideas on what i should look for??? what does everyone prefer or use?
  3. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

it would help to know your budget, i run Cases, very easy to use, powerful, and usually priced well. If you are looking for something cheap, look for a Case 1845C, arguably the best production skid steer (for its year) ever
  4. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

I bought mine when they were a couple years old (both 2000's & I bought in 2002) at about half the cost of new...lately when I've been looking they seem to be holding value more. I see comparable units to mine sell for almost as much as I paid for them. Look at the whole package, if you can get a new machine @ 0% or a 3 year old with 5%, the numbers may work the same.
  5. In2toys

In2toys Senior Member

Don't rule out the New Holland. I have a Deere 6675 which is basically a NH. They are a very stable machine. I do stuff on slopes I wouldn't think about in a Bobcat. & no I'm not looking to start a brand war. it JMO
  6. 09dieselguy

i have been looking at the new holland 185. i have sat in one before but i have herard about motor problems and they were trying to get away from fixing it at all cost. ithe machine had like 300 hours on it.

im looking at a good track machine with the as tracks,. my deere dealer told me he would set up a demo for me once we got some snow so i can try it out in the snow before i buy one
  7. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Why don't you buy a used ASV machine( Terex now ). A 300 series bobcat is a pretty big machine, so a Case 1845 ain't gonna match up. Maybe you could find a nice wheeled Bobcat and buy a set of steel over tire tracks for it( they work real well ). That way when you do your land clearing you're good to go. There's to many options to mention all, so try to narrow your wish list.
  8. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

I don't necessarily care for NH's but I certainly wouldn't consider them "scrap" either.

Look to a few dealerships, don't be afraid to ask a few for different demo's. See what you like in each machine, even if you buy one a few years old. ANd don't be afraid to get a quote on a new wheeled machine. I've found that some aren't much more than a used machine w/o a warranty.
  9. buckwheat_la

i agree he is looking for a newer machine, all i was saying is that the 1845C is a great machine if you are looking for a machine on a budget, also, i have seen a 1845 lift 2500-3000lbs before, but you definetly need to add some (a lot) of balast
  10. WIPensFan

Good points, if he's planning on using this machine a lot then at least see how much a new one would run. Seems like the deals keep getting better every day.
  11. WIPensFan

How many guys were hanging off the back?
  12. buckwheat_la

lmao, i would say but you probably don't want to know (it isn't the smartest thing we had ever done), BUT the 8 pallets of Allen block were suppose to be split into 16 pallets, and shipped to us so instead but weren't, so instead of having 16 pallets of Allen block weighing 1900lbs, we ended up with 8 pallets weighing 3800lbs, so we had a loaded semi and needed to get them off, and no extra pallets at our job site.
  13. WIPensFan

I've been there before. ;)
  14. buckwheat_la

i was just amazed it lifted the damn pallet
  15. DeVries

DeVries PlowSite.com Addict

There are very few used New Hollands and Case out there. I own a New Holland and want to by a second machine as a backup. The New Hollands are bullet proof as far as I'm concerned.

Do a search for used skid steers, you will most likely find more Bobcats than anything else. Sure there's more out there but New Holland and Case are hard to find used.
  16. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I can now have an opinion on a few skid steers,lol. My New Holland is a great machine I think. Its only a LX665 turbo but it moved piles of snow for us in Baltimore. It lifts a heaping bucket full of dirt with no problem and you didnt feel like you were going to tip over. As far as BobCat's, Ive been in 2 different ones now and both were very unstable! I got a S150 as a loaner when we were getting ours serviced and we were loading some dirt and I could only take half buckets because the first full bucket of dirt lifted the back end off the ground. Again, this was a very unstable machine imo. The 2nd Bobcat was a S185 and thats the one I ended up flipping! Even it was a very unstable ride and its a bigger machine. They were comfortable to sit in and maybe I needed more seat time but again, I thought they were a bit too tipsy for me.
  17. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

if you go to ebay or machinery trader you can find New Hollands all day long. Machinery trader has about 1100 of them listed. I agree the New Hollands are almost bullet proof, i have 5, some old and some newer and thay all just keep on going,
  18. FLC2004

FLC2004 Senior Member

I owned a Bobcat T300 and actually got rid of it for a S300, the problem in the winter with the track machine was it would slide around alot and would just spin. Its great for mud and tears up grass alot less than the wheel machine but in my experience for the snow removal end of my business, the wheel machine seemed like the better way to go so i got rid of my "T". You could always do what i did, buy the steel tracks that go over the wheels that also work great and have best of both worlds. Either way, make sure if you buy a bobcat brand skid make sure its the "gold package", depending on your cash flow situation. Hope this helps.
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2010
  19. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

You might also consider a 2 speed. Plowing at 6 mph may drive you insane!
  20. FLC2004

FLC2004 Senior Member

Yup, I knew there was something else i forgot, thanks :drinkup: