1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looking to buy a skidsteer this season.....Opinions Please

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by Premierplowing, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Premierplowing

Premierplowing Member

I'm adding a skidsteer to the fleet this year and have it narrowed down to a few brands that I'm interested in. The Machine will be parked permanently at the jobsite and will have a 10ft blade to use to clear the 300,000 sq ft lot.
    I'm Looking at the John Deere 260 or 325 or a New Holland LS160/170. I've used both machines in the past moving dirt etc and I'm leaning toward the JD since most of them I'm looking at have the 2 speed option and are a bit more comfortable to operate. Keep in mind I have a budget in mind and need to stick to it to make this work out(mid teens). Just looking for some feedback either way on the ones that I've listed, and possibly any other machine that I have not looked at. Opinions please.....

Thanks in advance
  2. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

I think as long as you buy something "brand name" with service and parts close by you will do fine. Good luck on the new toy !!!
  3. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

The bigger the better. The more weight and HP you can get, the better you will push a 10' blade in a big lot. 2 speed is very important when plowing with a blade. Good luck.
  4. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Personally I like the CAT's the best. JD's are nice also, just don't like the huge lift arms, they block side vision for me. Only skids I really don't like are some of the Gehl's since they are oil cooled.
  5. Ne1

Ne1 Senior Member

Make sure to buy one with 2 speed transmission.

ICE CREAM MAN Junior Member
    from MA

I Have been leaning towards a cat as well, but lately have been looking real hard at the Kubotas. More room in the cab and better visibility. Salesman was honest told me I need to put different tracks on for the snow. Going to demo one next week for a day in the dirt to see how it is on a jobsite.
  7. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

Get the biggest 2 sped you can for your money of course make sure a dealer and parts are local
    I run new holland love them 160&170 will be too small for a 10 foot blade well depends on tires and how well you can stay n top of the snow
  8. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

Tracks you say? IDK about that. They are not too good in snow. Also, a 10ft pusher on an LS160/170 is too big. No way you will be able to push a remotely long run. You might want to look to get a little bit bigger machine. I hope the price of the job allows for this, as it should being 300,000 sq ft
  9. JaimeG

JaimeG Senior Member

We have both the 260 and 325 and the 325 is a lot smoother to operate, also have an L180, which is a lot nicer, the 326d is about the same. The only thing that we don't like about the last two is the door which can't be opened with the boom raised. We run 8 foot pushers on all of them.
  10. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

I run 9 foot plows and 8 and 10 foot pushers 10 is pushing my nh 185 to it max
  11. EdNewman

EdNewman Senior Member

Are you going to use it for something else during the off season? I'd consider a small wheel loader for a lot thatbsize it will give better push and better control
  12. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

Yeah true but look at his budget
  13. plowfever

plowfever Senior Member

What is your budget? Reason asking is I know I was just looking for a used skid steer myself but found that the only thing out there was with high hours (over 1500) or almost as expensive as a new machine. I was looking at a New Holland L185 with 1450hrs 2 speed with cab and heat and it was going for $25,900. I was thinking one day and thought I would just compare new prices and I was shocked! My payment for 5 years on the used unit was going to be around $540 and I could lease a new machine for $580. Needless to say I went with new and will be taking possession of my New Holland L220 loaded machine in 10 days when it gets to the dealer.
  14. Premierplowing

Premierplowing Member

Well I just put a deal together on a super clean 2004 JD 260, 2000 HRS, 2speed with cab and heaT. Paid just under 14k. The machines are out there, you just have to really look hard to find them and be PATIENT
    Thanks for the input everyone!