1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looking to buy a skid steer

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by dlcs, Jan 16, 2009.

1. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

I'm looking to buy a skid steer. I mainly want one for snow plowing but will also be used to load mulch and some landscaping. I can't decide if i should go new or used. I'm looking at Bob cat but am open to other brands. Don't really know what i should look for or how large of a unit I need. The guy who does moves and relocates snow for me now has a Bob cat 250, seems to work great for him but he also does alot of excavating too. So, i don't know if I need one quite that big. Anybody got any suggestions on what i should be looking for in a skid steer for my needs.

2. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

the biggest one you can afford or if you know what types of weight you'll need to lift you can figure out what machine will work. if you do alot of snow a heated cab would be nice. if your not out for long duration in the skid one of the vinyl type covers w/ a door would be a cheap option. if it were at all possible a 2 speed would be nice. you probably don't need fancy stuff like keyless entry, hi flow, quick attach plate, air, suspension seat. if your buying used and can be patient there are alot of good deals out there...new you will get a warranty. if you get a smooth bucket you can always buy a bolt on tooth bar and have 2 buckets im sure theres more but that's off the top of my head
    good luck...your gonna love playin' w/ a skid steer :bluebounc

ps need to decide on tracks or wheels...tracks cost more

Last edited: Jan 16, 2009
  3. nhpatriot

nhpatriot Senior Member

I just bought a New Holland L185. It is right around 80 hp
    (really powerful for a skid steer) and put a 9' long, 38" high, metal cutting edge trip edge pusher from Horst Welding on it, plus two sets of chains on the tires. It could easily take a 10' or bigger pusher, but you sacrifice some ability to get into tight spots. For instance, anything bigger that my 9' and I would have to take it off to get into my heated garage where it is parked. It can be tough in tight parking lots as well. The New Holland is a phenomenal machine. This one is a 2 speed, and if I need to run it over road to get to different accounts it is no big deal, and it's way faster plowing. It will push a mountain of snow. New Holland financed me (I put $8000 down) at 3% for 60 months. You might even do better. The banks are getting money at 0% so they pass that on. Everyone will have their favorites, mine is New Holland, but get the most power that you will expect to want or use in the future, and DEFINITELY get a 2 speed.

You mention loading materials. Mine is also for this dual use, I sell landscape supplies in the summer. The New Holland easily has the reach to load a dump truck. I would get something that does this for sure. Before this, I only had a Kubota that barely reached over high sideboards on a one ton. You will always appreciate the extra lift.

Happy hunting!

Last edited: Jan 16, 2009
  4. MJJMOTA01

MJJMOTA01 Junior Member

Looking for bobcat

Check out my s205 close to new as you can get low hrs of 190hrs big hp bigger tires smaller frame than s250 but big power welcome to the s205 class!!!!!!!!!!!

5. The mayor

The mayor Senior Member

We will be getting rid of one of our skid steers this spring(we hit full depreciation on the equipment) Most likely it will be a Hew holland lx885 heat, full cab enclosure,aux hyd, 2 speed.under 2000 hrs at this point. Feel free to try it out at one of our sites.

6. xtreem3d

what will you/they be asking for it?
    steve

7. The mayor

The mayor Senior Member

That would be me. $12500.00

8. xtreem3d

spring is little way off but could you send any pics to my e-mail when you get a chance xtreem3d@charter.net and then i'd like to ask some questions about different things
    thanks,
    steve

9. Dlongerman

Dlongerman Senior Member
    from IL

GEHL are great machines they work GREAT! i landscape a church with one of these and it works great... snow, mulch, dirt, gravel, anything! LOVE it!

like said before get the biggest one that you can buy!!!!!

10. DFS

DFS Junior Member

I run a Gehl 3725 with a 48" bucket. While it isn't the biggest machine I can run city sidewalk with it and not tear up the grass. It also only weighs 4100lbs so it is a breeze to pull.

11. Spudgunner

Spudgunner Member

I'm also looking for a SS to augment my Toolcat and have received quotes from my local dealer on both a Bobcat S205 and S250. I'm also going to look at New Holland this week. The L180 and larger are very interesting to me. I looked at them last year and I thought they represented a better value proposition than Bobcat at the time...but I'd need to actually test a NH skid to verify that. The Bobcat units, at the time, were more expensive but very, very nice. I ran an Bobcat A300 a few weeks ago with a SB200 blower off my Toolcat and was very impressed with the power management on the 300 as well as the weight and power in general. The A300 really isn't what I need, longer-term (too heavy and expensive), but it was fun to try while the dealer applied first-aid to my Toolcat.

My Bobcat dealer was uncharacteristically open to price negotiation as well. Signs of the times, I would imagine. Note: Bobcat is presently throwing-in the 2yr/2000hr warranty for free. This is worth about $1200 on an S205 and $1700 on a S250. My dealer wasn't even aware of this until I directed their attention to the Bobcat website (www.bobcat.com/offers).

Good luck to you in your search.

12. timm9

timm9 Senior Member

Spudgunner,

Let us know what the "top speed' is of the brands you investigate!

Thanks!

13. nhpatriot

nhpatriot Senior Member

NH L185 2 Speed, 6 and 12 miles an hour respectively.....

14. Bluedigger

Bluedigger Junior Member

patriot
    did you put the horst snowwing on? if so how do you like it? thinking of getting one but don't have enough info ...thanx

15. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Considr the Cat Joystick is nice for controls and service is god at least for us. We run a 277 tracked machine(little big for your puposses) but we do dirt in the summer.

16. Lovethebizz

Lovethebizz Junior Member
    from IOWA

I plan on getting an S205 if I can find a good deal. Don't need anything smaller or really anything bigger. Just about the right size machine!

17. Spudgunner

Spudgunner Member

I was talking to a Bobcat mechanic last week about differences in the 185/205 and the 250 and, of course, he liked them both but noted that the 205 was more difficult to work on and that repairs thus cost more. As a demo, he popped the cab back on both a 205 and a 250 for me. I could see where he was coming from...things are just more cramped. Still an impressive machine, though. I'd be happy to have one.

18. gd8boltman

gd8boltman Senior Member

Check out the JCB

1110, very nice machine, the 2 speed is a little slower than most. Visibilty is amazing.

19. charlefoxtrtot

charlefoxtrtot Member
    from MD

Gehl

I have an 01 7800 GEHL skidloader. It is all power. 100hp turbo diesel. Tips the scales @ around 10,000lbs. Curently for sale. Look in the ad section.

20. Dlongerman

Dlongerman Senior Member
    from IL

top speed for my gehl 2 speed is 14MPH.....