1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looking to buy a plow

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by pkayejr, Nov 11, 2008.

1. pkayejr

pkayejr Junior Member

I am looking to buy a plow for my 2001 Ford Ranger. This will be my first plow and I have been told many different things by many different people. I've heard Sno-Way makes a good plow for smaller trucks like mine. I found a used Sno-Way Predator MT, but was told buy a dealer that is too big for my truck. I also found a Meyer 66 poly, but don't know if that's too big. I am looking for any help you can offer. IF you know anyone who is selling a used plow for a smaller truck please let me know. OR if you know anyone who has used a Sno-way Predator MT on a Ranger, please let me know.
  2. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I don't know if they sell Fishers in your area but if they do you should get a Fisher Home Steader. The Home Steader is perfect fo your truck.
  3. tom_mccauley

tom_mccauley Senior Member

You should probably stay away from poly plows as they are usually heavier than steel ones.:drinkup:
  4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

The MT is too much plow for your truck for sure. Your looking for a ST,18 series or a 22 series. Check in to be sure you can get a mount to fit your truck before you buy a plow. All the manufacturers have a match program of some type. Use them, they will allow you to print a parts list.

The Meyer is probably a little heavy. Outfitting the truck can be expensive, a $1,500 plow set up can double in cost real fast if it's not all there and doesn't match your truck.
  5. 98tacoma

98tacoma Junior Member

You may want to try a Snowsport. Had one on my 98 Tacoma last winter and it worked great, I was able to find a slightly used one online, total investment under $800. Check out the Snowsport section of the board. I'd be happy to answer any questions you have about it.
  6. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I think he wants a real plow. Something with hydraulic lift and lower along with angle and probably lights also.