1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looking to buy a Plow truck F-250 or F-250? 5.4 or 6.2L gas?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by calebtk, Feb 13, 2014.

1. calebtk

calebtk Junior Member

Ok looking to add a plow truck to my landscape company. Been looking at a few 2010 F-250 reg cab with the 5.4L V8 and the 2012 F-350 ex. cab w/ 6.2L V8. Both gas engines.

Is reg cab or ex cab better? Both have 8' beds. And both have the snow prep pkg. Is the 5.4 enough power to push big snows and does it make that much difference having a 1 ton vs. a 3/4 ton?

Thinking to put a Boss 7'6" Straight w/ wings or a Boss 8'2" V.

Thanks.

2. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

Will you be pulling a trailer full of lawn equipment?

3. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

No 5.4... Ext cab better.. V plow is a must...
    I would go diesel but guys on here will tell you gas is just fine...
    If i buy gas trucks its chevy with 6.0

4. calebtk

calebtk Junior Member

Yeah I pull a 16' tandem utility trailer w/ 3 Exmark Vantages on them. Maybe 4000-5000 lbs. I'm leaning away from Diesel because of all the emission crap with them now and the added fuel cost. Just doesn't seem like it's worth it anymore. Especially for crew trucks that guys drive hard and tear up.

5. mud

mud Senior Member

I push a 9.5 v every storm with a 5.4. Never once ran out of power. My diesel sits at home as a back up. Cheaper to plow with the gas truck.

While the bigger cab is great most of the year. I like my regular cabs for plowing. Easier to maneuver in tight lots.

Either engine will work fine for you and in all reality the fuel usage will be about the same though the 6.2 will have more power. Buy the truck you like the most.

6. mud

mud Senior Member

As for the plow. Get the V. No question there.

7. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Short wheelbase is nice in tight place but the Ext Cab is nice when more that one person is in the truck. The extra space is great with the extra gear a second person has, this goes for winter and summer work. The 5.4 would probably pull you stuff ok but the 6.2 will did it easier and not be worked as hard. I guess I'm old school but I always go for the biggest motor as I think they work less than a smaller one and get better life out them. Fuel mileage when loaded/pulling typically is as bad or worst with a smaller motor due to having to run it harder to do the same job and a larger motor.
    So I would go for the '12, ext cab F-350.

8. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Short wheelbase is nice in tight place but the Ext Cab is nice when more that one person is in the truck. The extra space is great with the extra gear a second person has, this goes for winter and summer work. The 5.4 would probably pull you stuff ok but the 6.2 will do it easier and not be worked as hard. I guess I'm old school but I always go for the biggest motor as I think they work less than a smaller one and get better life out them. Fuel mileage when loaded/pulling typically is as bad or worst with a smaller motor due to having to run it harder to do the same job and a larger motor.
    So I would go for the '12, ext cab F-350.

9. tebletlawns

tebletlawns Member

I have an 08 f250 with a 5.4. I'm going to be putting a plow on it for next season. Glad to hear the 5.4 has enough power to push snow. I'm going to put an 8'6" western v. They won't mount it because the truck's front end is only rated for 4800#. I plan on putting larger springs, 5600 or 6000#. Will that be all I need to do for my truck?

10. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan Senior Member

You'll be fine, a SuperDuty will carry about any plow.

Any truck engine has enough power to plow. My 80hp backhoe pushes a lot more snow than my 400hp diesel truck.

11. ScubaSteve728

ScubaSteve728 Senior Member

I pushed some heavy wet snow yesterday I should have made a video or taken pics. I only have an 8 foot plow i wish i had a 8 and a half at least

12. unhcp

unhcp PlowSite.com Addict

tough choice, I love my regular cab 5.4 for plowing but I have driven a few 6.2 trucks and they do have a bit more power on the other hand they suck more gas.....

plow = v don't buy anything else

13. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

Generally, if you go too long of a vehicle, it becomes very difficult to maneuver. Try to stay as short as possible, so I'd say the regular cab would do better as a plow, but if you need the extra space for cargo/passengers, the trade-off may be worth it. Of course, there is also such a thing as going too-short -- like a jeep. They're so short that they won't go in a straight line against big snow. Neither of those you are looking at would have this problem.

A 2.0 is big enough engine to push big snow.

I hear most people saying that its just a different sticker they put on virtually the same truck.

14. 04trd

04trd Senior Member

A heads up to you guys I have a regular cab with an 8 foot and a extended cab with a 6.5 foot bed and the extended cab is 6 inches longer. So it's really personal preference. Grant it one is a 2012 gmc 2500 and the other is a 2013 but not much of a difference

15. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

That really isn't comparing apples to apples though, since the bed length is way off on them. On one, you're sacrificing bed for cab. The reality is that the difference in the cab is 2 feet... 8' - 6.5' + 6". 2 feet is *huge* when you're trying to turn in tight quarters.

16. Snow tracker

Snow tracker Senior Member

I have a 08 F250 ext cab short bed. 5.4 liter gas 9'2" Boss VXT.
    Plenty of power to push heavy wet snow. Blizzaks tires for traction.
    Sucks the fuel though. 6 miles to the gallon when working it hard on the plow route. Ext cab is nice for extra gear. But would never have ext cab and a long bed:nono:

17. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan Senior Member

6mpg is pretty standard I'd guess. I only get 8ish when pushing hard with my Duramax.

18. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Bigger motor doesn't work as hard and burns less fuel.

19. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan Senior Member

:rolleyes:

20. contractor 413

contractor 413 Junior Member

I have a 6.2 ccsb and it can be a little long to maneuver at times. But coming from a regular cab I would never go back. I was really impressed with how good it plows. I'm plowing drives that required chains and a full sander on my old Chevy. I also used to tow my enclosed trailers with a 5.4 and the 6.2 is unreal! You will forget the trailer is there. Make sure you get the rear eld and you won't be disappointed.