1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

looking to buy a plow..questions..

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by kranker022, Dec 23, 2010.

1. kranker022

kranker022 Junior Member

hello and thanks for looking! i have always appreciated this site for questions and answers. I am in my early 20's and have always been looking for advice and ideas on this site.

I have had a medium lawn care company for about 5 years.. still maintain a fulltime job so i have not really got much into the plowing scene. i mainly do a lot of my clients driveways.. and a few small parking lots. I have always used one of the rinky dink snowbear snowplows.. and believe it or not.. those have always got the job done for me. HOWEVER.. I have had some money saved up.. and have convinced myself to pick up a heavy duty plow. I have been looking at some used western/meyer plows online.. and just have a few questions (Please excuse me if my questions sounds dumb and amateur)

If I am looking at the older style.. cable hydraulic.. not the electric over hydraulic... is there a way to see if the pump motor works.. or to test the plows functionality before I buy?

also.. I am aware that these cable styles are ran by the trucks engine motor.. while the electric over hydraulic run on the battery system. My question ( a stupid one) is simply.. how do these plows hook up to your motor? do they run off a belt? if someone could just explain that a little to me I would really appreciate it.

once again.. i want to thank anyone in advance who takes some time out of their day to respond.

2. hightop

hightop Member

I just posted to your duplicate thread in the new to industry forum. I don't think you need to double post, you'll get the info you need in either, but I think it belongs in the newbie forum.