1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

looking to buy a plow for my own drive way

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by noplow, Feb 10, 2010.

1. noplow

noplow Junior Member
    from iowa

hello i have about a 1/4mile long drive way and a 200 by 300 foot parking lot for my work trucks and my race car trailer. im looking to buy a snow plow for my own use i have a 2002 sliverado 1500 5.3l 4x4 that i will be using to plow. im looking for info on what plow brands are good to look into. i would like a light weight but strong plow and something that will be easy for me to hook up and unhook by myself. i dont need nothing like a v plow im fine with a striaght plow that turns and lifts. i think i would like a plow that is atlest 7 foot wide but i dont want to beat the piss out of my truck to push it

2. TJ Fed

TJ Fed Member
    from Indiana

Boss Standard duty 7.6 Ive got a similar truck and I run a Superduty 7.6 on mine and it handles it great. The Standard duty is lighter weight so it should handle your needs just fine.

3. noplow

noplow Junior Member
    from iowa

o yea i forgot to say im most likly going to get a used plow to save some money so i would like something that i can get the pump and what not if i need them or if they ever was to go out on me but at the same time i dont want to spend a arm and a leg

4. noplow

noplow Junior Member
    from iowa

also two buddy plow for me right now and they cant ever get the plow to scarp clean there will always be 2" or so of hard packed snow from ym semis driving over it.one drives a s10 and the other is a 1500 hd is it something they are doing wrong or is it the plow it self? i would like to be able to remove all the snow even the ice and hard packed in snow that builds up

5. BIGHUNTER2

BIGHUNTER2 Junior Member

I just purchased a Snowdogg VX95 plow for 2002 3500 GMC 6.6L Duramax Dually Crew Cab. The Snowdogg also sells a straight blade that would look good on the front of your truck.

You could also go to the top of this forum page and there different sponsors there, to look at a variety of makes of plows. That might help you out.

6. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

If semi's drive over the snow before it is plowed, then there is a good chance that you won't be able to clean it down to bare pavement no matter what plow you get. Once it is packed down, unless you go with a very heavy commercial plow, the plow is going to float over the packed part, without scraping much.

7. noplow

noplow Junior Member
    from iowa

o thinks for the info

8. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

No plow will scrape clean after snow has been driven over alot.
    Get a skid if you want bare pavement
    Get a plow and plow before traffic packs the snow down.
    Plenty of used plows will be for sale in a few months.
    Where in Iowa are you?

9. noplow

noplow Junior Member
    from iowa

des moines..yea im thinking more for next year then something to use yet this year

10. snowfighter75

snowfighter75 Senior Member

I'd go with a Western Midweight 7'6" and don't buy used, your just buying problems. Thats my opinion. Best of luck!

11. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

Hey noplow do yourself a big favor and if you dont already have the transmission temp on your truck grab one and stick it in before you go to plowing.................. it could easily save you a transmission job ! An outfit called Glow Shift makes one that the probe goes right into a test port in the tranny so you can install it in 10 mins they are around $40 bucks and just keep your eye on it and as long as the temp never goes over 200-205 your ok. If it does STOP plowing and let it cool down or you will be sorry you didnt. Without the gauge you have NO idea what is going on with the Trans Fluid. You might want to run in and change your fluid and filter on your tranny as well as plowing is tough on em and your fluid is probably worn badly by now if you have never changed it................. just some food for thought ???
    Check out our 1/2 ton with the SS V on it!

12. noplow

noplow Junior Member
    from iowa

i already have one. i have had my truck upgraded i tow my race car every weekend in the summer also my gf dad is a tranny guy so there not to big of a deal to me but yes i do understand the 4l60e is not the best tranny to beat on :D also why is buying a used plow a bad idea? i mean other then the lift motor and lift/turn cylinders what is there to go bad i guess you could bend the blade but that would take a pertty good hit i would think

Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
  13. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

if your ever up in the Clear Lake area let me know and we can talk plowing and plows

14. Reliable Snow and Ice

Reliable Snow and Ice Senior Member

I beg to differ on scraping clean after being driven on if you have a new edge you bring up more of it then one with an old edge and keep it sharp too

15. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

1/4 mile of drive would go for around $50 here. For the price of a plow and maintenance you could have your drive plowed around 100 times. Are you sure you want a plow on your truck?

16. noplow

noplow Junior Member
    from iowa

yes i do want my own plow i dont like they way people do thing i dont like having to wait i dont like not been able to do it when i want and i dont like having snow plowed up and some people will want more money to clean it as well as i would like so yes for me it is best to have my own my truck is well maintenanced anyways i just dont see plow been has hard on as truck as off roading or racing and alot of people around here do that so why cant i plow snow with my truck with out killing it? maybe i dont understand something i tow a trailer with the truck almost everyday i do work the truck i just also take care of it by changing the oil/fuilds and keeping up on everything that may need to be looked at or fixxed