1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looking to buy a Gehl

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by gd8boltman, Jan 14, 2009.

1. gd8boltman

gd8boltman Senior Member

7810, anybody have any words of wisdom with experience with this machine?

Thanks for the info.

2. Upper5percent

Upper5percent Member
    from USofA

3. gd8boltman

gd8boltman Senior Member

Looking for good versatility, and a machine

that later I wont regret buying because it does not have enough power. Need the 2 spd. for lot to lot travel, need to dump into semis for snow hauling, and want the lift capacity for other things. I am looking at several used units, and aside from the S300, I think the Gehl 7810 offers the most bang for the buck. I am looking at 2003-2005 units with the Perkins diesel and hand controls, any feedback from those that have used a 7810 is appreciated.

4. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

i have a friend that has one and i haven't heard anything bad....when they first came out they were the biggest and had the most hp, probably still do...correct me if i'm wrong but they are 120hp?

5. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

The drives just let go in our subs 4640 with 350 hrs on it, the thing looks like brand new still but it's 3 years old. I havn't heard anything bad about Gehl before this happened. Close to 4 k to fix it.:realmad:

6. gd8boltman

gd8boltman Senior Member

They have a 115 h.p. Perkins

diesel, I am looking on the internet to see if I could put a 10' Arctic pusher on it, from my reading they seem to have good reviews to this point.

7. salopez

salopez Senior Member

first of when they run they kick ass! they will load trucks faster then a backhoe....

we run a 12foot protech on my subs 7800.

you better have something big to pull it with cause they are huge!

8. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

A 10 ft would be too small in an Arctic.

9. Jay brown

we had a 1 drive motor go out 2 seasons ago at 1000 hrs on a 2000 gehl 6635...it cost $4,000 with a oil and filter service...

10. MJM Landscaping

MJM Landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

around here gehl have no resale, but if you buy for cheap sell for cheap.

11. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

That big Gehl would totally handle a 12ft arctic. No problem at all.

J.

12. gd8boltman

gd8boltman Senior Member

Thanks for the info. guys, they are 84" wide which

is wider than most skidsteer trailers, glad to hear about the 12' pusher, I thought 10' would be ok, but I would love to go 12' if I can. The machine weighs 10,400, so you are right about it being heavy. The Gehl market around here is pretty good for resale, so I am looking in other areas to see if any deals are to be found. I spoke to a contractor today that uses one today, and he mentioned that it is far more practical than a small wheel loader he had, I'll keep you posted on my purchase.

13. Jay brown

why would you worry about resale anyway? just keep it, the resale on ALL equiptment sucks..you always get less than you paid for it.......

14. salopez

salopez Senior Member

yes its wider then a reg ss. you need a deckover to move it.

15. gd8boltman

gd8boltman Senior Member

Jay, what I meant to say is in the market I live in

there are few "deals" to be found, so the used units have a higher resale price in the market area I am in as opposed to others I have seen.

16. Jay brown

i know i was quoting mjm..good luck!

17. StuveCorp

StuveCorp Senior Member

Stay away from any that have the Perkins in them, the Cummins is much better. Also look into the Mustang version, same thing and may give you some more choices. They don't have great resale but like someone said just run the thing. I don't know how new you are looking for but my salesman(KRTraxx) had a latemodel repo that was a pretty good deal.

Look at 95XT/465 Case, they are monsters also.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2009
  18. gd8boltman

gd8boltman Senior Member

Have not heard any issues with the Perkins, what

type of issues have you heard of? I have not found any used Mustangs with similar capacities, please forward me your reps. name, I am looking presently at an 05' with 1300 hrs. loaded with options priced at 21K

Thanks

19. salopez

salopez Senior Member

the mustan 2109 is the same machine as the 7810 different stickers.

20. Dlongerman

Dlongerman Senior Member
    from IL

Gehl are GREAT units! i love em! they are awesome! they work great! just keep up with regular maint. ! i love the T-Bars they work great!