1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looking to buy a Ford...

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by grinch1989, Mar 8, 2011.

1. grinch1989

grinch1989 Member
    from CT

Hey guys, looking to unload my Dakota to get into something larger seeing this epic winter was a little much for the ol' Dodge (no hating on Dodge, its a great truck! :p). My price range is on the low side of around $7,000 without plow. Looking for a F250 or F350, gas or diesel, reg cab. Now I haven't owned a ford in over 12 years, so I wanted to check which years to avoid and which years are ok. I've heard of issues with the early 2000's maybe??? Correct me if I am wrong please. Seeing my price range puts me right around a 2000-2002 I wanted to see what you boys thought. Thanks!

2. MrPLow2011

MrPLow2011 Senior Member
    from Boston

Beside the rust issue over the rear tire. the other major issue on the 7.3 is the oil pan rotting out. cant help ya with the 5.4 just the fact that they are a bit under powered

3. unhcp

unhcp PlowSite.com Addict

issues on the 5.4 also include the oil pan and other issues include the manifold studs breaking and the coils will blow

4. grinch1989

grinch1989 Member
    from CT

Thanks for the feedback guys, keep it coming. I've been reviewing ebay daily for a decent truck :)

5. grinch1989

grinch1989 Member
    from CT

I'm close to pulling the trigger on a 1995 F250 7.3. 180,000 miles, anything I should check for or worry about with this rig?

6. snowplowpro

snowplowpro Senior Member
    from NJ

like they said the oil pans rot out and check the frame for damage ,radiators tend to go,rad supports i mean i dont if your looking to put money in to it but this all stuff i know i got 2 a 94 and 96 same truck. check the 4wd and the transfer case make sure it engages but if there is anything else i can think of i will post it but good luck if you get it post some pics i love those old body styles.

7. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

If your going to plow, I'd vote for the 350. The front axle set-up on the 250's is far from ideal for carrying a plow. Ball joints, leaf spring bushings, check the turbo wheel for pitting, run the motor with the oil cap laying upside down on the fill hole to see if theres any blow-by. Steering components, box, all tie-rods should be checked. Take a look at the fuel filter, if its black you may need injector o-rings. Thats all I can remember for now but theres lots more...

8. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

Help me here guys. Isn't the '95 the last year of the non-turbo 7.3? Either way, I'd take a serious look at the transmission with that kind of miles on it. If it is the turbo, check out the Oil Cooler on the side of the motor. Has it been plowed?

9. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

95 is a Powerstroke. Yeah, forgot about the oil cooler. Tranny probably has been rebuilt by 180k I'm guessing.

10. grinch1989

grinch1989 Member
    from CT

Thanks a lot for the replies guys. I am new to diesels so I appreciate your tips on what to look for. The truck has been plowing resi for 8 years I am told with a MM1. So not the heaviest of plows that would beat up the front end at least. I'm going to dig a little more as I am willing (and expect to) invest a little money, but not my weekly paycheck!