1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looking to buy a 7'6 Standard or Super Duty for '99 Silverado 1500

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by famouslee99gt, Oct 4, 2008.

1. famouslee99gt

famouslee99gt Member

I'm looking into buying a brand new Boss 7'6 steel blade, but I'm not sure whether to go with a standard or super duty. The total weight was only about 100 lbs difference, and about $150 out the door w/o install. My 1/2 ton Chevy already has the Timbrens and cranked torsion bars, and is also the extended cab meaning it has the heavier front axle, which the dealer said with those upgrades, would have no problem with the super duty. I know the super duty is thicker and a bit taller, maybe have a slight more curl to it, but I'm not sure what is best for me.

Last year, I plowed a couple driveways, a church parking lot, and the car dealership in which I work at. I did that with a little Meyer 7'6 steel plow with ProWings and was ok, except that blade was real light.

Another thing, in the booklet, I see that the SmartLight2 are standard on the new blades, but he mentioned they are using up the last of the old style. I am not certain which style I like more. I have read that the new lights have a better mounting system. If I plan to keep this plow for a few years, I would like the newest of each option, so that it looks up-to-date, and would also like to be one of the first or few around town to have the new style of lights. I asked the dealer, but never really got an answer as to whether there was any price difference between them using the old style or SmartLight2 style.

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If the dealer quote was only $150 difference between the two I'd recommended going with the super duty. May be slightly more plow than you need right now but its easy to quickly out grow a plow as jobs come along.

A super will hold its value better in most cases also.

3. famouslee99gt

famouslee99gt Member

That's what I was thinking as well. For the jobs I was doing last year, that extra $150 is just one extra snow event to plow to cover it. I also figured that if I ever decide to upgrade to a 3/4 ton truck, this plow will be more suited for it.

I do intend to also add ProWings to it, because I have found it easier to plow a large lot with the wings helping scoop.

4. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Have you ever looked into the boss wings? From what I hear there the best, and they are more funtional than the prowings.

5. famouslee99gt

famouslee99gt Member

I have found that through Angelos Supplies, you can get ProWings for about $210 delivered. The Boss Wings I saw listed on Ebay one time were almost $800. I don't plow a lot, and therefore, the cheaper wings worked for me, and were most economical for my need

6. famouslee99gt

famouslee99gt Member

Does anyone prefer the older style lights vs. the new SmartLight2? From what I've read, people like the SmartLight2 because the mount better and don't move around, but that they are also a much bigger light. I haven't pulled the trigger on buying the plow yet. I think I'm gonna get the 7'6 Super Duty straight blade, add some Pro-Wings to it, and snow deflector, and call it good. There wasn't much difference in price or weight between the Standard and the Super Duty, so I'll get the bigger and hope it turns out to serve me well