1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

looking to buy a 2001 f150

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by weasel1221, Dec 5, 2010.

1. weasel1221

weasel1221 Junior Member

Hello everyone I’m new to the site I was looking to buy a 2001 ford f150 quad cab with the 5.4 V8 motor in it and plan to put a snowbear plow that I already own to plow my driveway. The truck has 98k on it and I will be using it as a daily driver, I wanted to know if there’s any major issues I should be looking out when I buy this truck (not wanting to buy a piece of sh*t). I know about that starter packs on the each of the cylinders go bad if the trucks spark plugs aren’t maintained, looking to get more info from someone that has and similar f150 thanks for your help rich
  2. 01lariat

01lariat Member

Dad had an 03. It was an excellent truck as far as driver. Never had a plow on his. I don't know how well it might do for that duty, but as a half-ton goes it was his best. You might want to check what gears your potential truck has.. Dad's truck had 3.55's. A 3.73 would make for better plow, and all around towing.. Dad's truck normally made 17mpg combined driving..
  3. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

It's actually Coil Packs on top of each plug and how long they last has nothing to do with how well one maintains the spark plugs. After a widely varying amount of time, they just go bad all by themselves.

As for things to keep an eye on with that vintage of truck, check the front Tie Rod Ends. They don't last very long - even when one hasn't hung a plow off the front. That year pre-dates the 3 valve motor with Cam Phaser Problems and they'd fixed the "blowing the plugs right out of the heads" problem by then. I had a 2002 with the 5.4 and it was a great truck.
  4. N_Greenscapes

N_Greenscapes Junior Member

I had a 03 f-150, no plow though, it was an awesome truck. I bought it just after highschool and i beat on it pretty good. no problems. I too am looking for insight on these trucks with plows. A short wheelbase would be great for tight drives.