1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looking to Buy 1500 Quad Cab Need Opinion

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by NEUSWEDE, Feb 18, 2006.

1. NEUSWEDE

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

I am looking at a Dodge 1500 Quad Cab, White short bed with 62K, need been plowed. It will personel/ work just want some input. It has all the power options cloth interior. What should I bee looking at for price range.

Also anyone hung a plow on one of these? Could I put an 8' or do I go with the 7'6?

Thanks
    Here is a pic of it
    [​IMG]

2. harleyrider67

harleyrider67 Member

Nice lookin truck. I have an 04 Quad Cab SLT/HEMI With the 20" wheels not the Sport Model. Sorry I don't have pics posted yet......:-(

I just had a BOSS 7'-6" standard duty installed on mine back in Dec. and it works great. I had a set of TIMBRENS installed and the front end handles the weight super.

I would make sure you have the trailer tow group on the truck, that way you will have the tranny cooler on the truck and the 750 amp battery. You should be ok with the 4.7 V8.....I say this cause I do not see the HEMI emblem on the front fender.

Around here in Indiana that truck would probably sell off the used lots for between 18K and 22K. Just a guess though.

As far as plowing with it I think you will be fine if the price is right.

Good Luck with your decision,

Curt

3. NEUSWEDE

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

Yea it is the 4.7 , if it had the hemi I would have it home. I checked on plow on the Boss site and it only lists a dinky 7' ploy blade. I will check with my boss dealer monday. I like the truck just want to make sure I can get a 7'6 on it.

Thanks for the input get pictures up asap!

4. harleyrider67

harleyrider67 Member

Yeah, It listed that plow for mine too. I went to the BOSS dealer and he showed me the undercarrage for the truck and told me everything would be ok.

I went to the Dodge dealer and talked to the service manager where I bought my truck and who does all my service work and he told me that I would be ok with the 7-6 plow and just to follow the service schedules for the truck and maybe change the tranny fluid every year if I do a lot of plowing.

He also told me that the reason that they only list a 7-0 plow is because Chrysler figures that you will plow with 6 people in the truck and that will overload the GARW which is 3900lbs.

If you look at a reg cab short bed you will see that they(BOSS) suggest 4-5 different plows because Chrysler figures that only 2-3 would be in the cab of that truck while plowing.

Hope this helps and good luck,

Curt

5. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

Has something changed? Last I knew you could void your warranty if you put a plow on a 1500. Anyway if you do get a plow, get a smaller one and add ProWings. I had a 1500 and now a 2500 and the 3/4 ton is a much stronger truck, go with the lighter plow and you'll love the wings, they kick a$$!

6. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

It will void the warranty on the 2500 & 3500 too:waving:

7. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

heres mine

DSC00084.JPG

Last edited: Feb 19, 2006
  8. Grn Mtn

If that was the case then Dodge wouldn't offer the snowplow prep package, and my truck would have been denied repairs already.

9. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

My dealer covered me on my 1500, Just check with the dealer before and make sure they'll back you.

10. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Take a look at this>http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=34088

"If that was the case then Dodge wouldn't offer the snowplow prep package"
    ROFLMAOxysport xysport Your kidding right???

11. harleyrider67

harleyrider67 Member

I do have to agree that 3/4 and 1 tons have their place, that's for sure.

But, I would have to say that if you installed a plow on a 3/4 or 1 ton and it was not properly equiped from the factory with the prep group the factory could void the warranty as well on that truck even though it would have the live axle and coil springs. The only thing that they give you on the prep group is a 750 amp battery and 160 amp alt. and you have to have the trailer tow group in order to get the prep group so you get the tranny cooler. That's it on the 3/4 and 1 tons.

Granted the IFS on the 1/2 tons are not the best thing to have to plow with but they will do the job as needed as long as you do not beat the crap out of it.

For example, in my case I do not plow commercially and I do not have a real need for a heavy-duty truck right now, I do a few driveways and some small business lots. So the 1/2 ton does me well. For the guy who is going to plow commercially and/or use it as a work truck hauling a lot of weight or pulling a super heavy trailer,then he probably needs the bigger truck.

Will a plow on a dodge 1/2 ton void the warranty...yes it will as per the owners manual from Chrysler cause it says not to install a plow, it does not however say that you cannot install one. Again in my case I am on good terms with the service manager and I also work for Daimler Chrysler so maybe that is why he said he would take care of me as long as I did not beat the crap out of the truck. Could he screw me on the deal....YES. I guess I am taking my chances.

I will not argue the fact that the 3/4 and 1 tons are the better trucks for the task, it's just that the 1/2 ton may be all a guy has and can afford. Therefore he must do the best with what he has.

Just my .02 worth.

12. dRam2500CT

dRam2500CT Member
    from USA

Edited. My bad, replied in wrong topic.

Nice truck, I would probably only put on a 7'6 on that. My 2500 holds a 8' real nice, but just to be safe id go smaller if I have bought a 1500.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2006
  13. Grn Mtn

Okay I really don't like hijacking someone else's thread by bantering about something else. BUT...

First I made the comment about warranty because maybe something had changed from when I had last bought my truck 2 1/2 years ago. At that time the dealer said void with plow on 1500, okay with 2500. THEN I answered the question and said go with a 7 1/2 foot plow. I was serious about the snowplow prep package being available so they can't offer something from the factory that would void its own warranty. Lastly why did you want me to read that thread? Had you not seen I had already posted in it?

Anyways, please PM if this needs to be discussed further.

14. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Sorry .about the hijacking .
    Even if it is a 1500, it is a full size truck you will need a 8" plow can it be done yes. But do your self a favor and look at an 3/4 ton. price ?? you know you have to shop around.

GRN MTN; just read your warranty!! That's how I know, it does not matter if you have the plow prep or not, hanging a plow on ANY Dodge, 1500, 2500 or 3500 will void the warranty. I does not matter if they made it to carry a plow or not. :waving: prsport