1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looking to buy 04 F250 V10

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by canoebuildah, Apr 12, 2009.

1. canoebuildah

canoebuildah Senior Member

I have my eye on a 2004 F250 with the V10. It is a supercab, 4x4, short bed. I am planning on putting my Blizzard 810 on it next winter. It has high miles - 113k but is in excellent condition. It was a one owner truck who ever plowed with it and the trailer hitch looks like it got no or very little use. It has never been plowed and can't be from Maine since the underbody is still clean and rust free.

I will be using this as a work truck and probably wouldn't put 5k miles per year of all local short distance driving. I know that the V10's are prone to exhaust manifold and spark plug issues. I do not have any maintenance records other than the Carfax report.

As a non-mechanic, what should I be looking for around the exhaust manifold for problems? Unfortunately, the truck is not close to me or my mechanic so I can't have him check it out.

Will I need to do anything to get it ready for the Blizzard 810? I had to have the t-bars turned up on my 2007 Chevy 3500. Will the F250 require and suspension mods. I have already calculated the ballast needed on Blizzard's Powermatch.

2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I have an 04 with the V-10 and love it. Spark plug problem was fixed before 04 and the manifold studs you just need to keep an eye on. The truck will plow just fine as it sits. Put ballast in the bed when the plow is on.Proper maintenence is key. There is a V-10 forum over at www.ford-trucks.com

3. 91AK250

91AK250 PlowSite.com Addict

i just bought a '04 V10 excursion with 80k miles on it..i had it checked out and that went perfect..no issues. just check and make sure everything is tight and no major leaks. i've put 1K miles on it so far and i absolutly love it the v10 has plenty of power.

4. metallihockey88

metallihockey88 PlowSite.com Addict

i dont have first hand experience with the v-10's but the general that my company works with a lot has one. he loves them. hes on his second one. had a 99 i think that he ended up just getting rid of with 316k miles and said he hardly spent anything on it aside from regular maintenance. his current 2004 has 234k miles and once again, never had any problems. says he'll definately be buying a new one next year when this one turns 300k. he tows a lot wit his but doesnt plow so they arent babied miles, he does work it. seen him many times with skids of concrete in the back of it.

5. Sweetpete

Sweetpete Senior Member

The V10 is similar to the V8 5.4 in that they are both reliable, well built engines with great reputations. The V10 is more powerful and in hind sight, I would have opted for that over the V8 for the lousy $600. Nonetheless, I love my 04. It's been great and even though I've wrapped up my last season of plowing (since I'll be moving) I still look forward to keeping it for many years and many more miles.

You'll be happy, I'm sure.

6. mikegp1

mikegp1 Junior Member

I own a 99 V10 with around 180k and the truck runs great. I tow either a JD 50c or a 18' enclosed trailer loaded almost everyday. I plow with it too. The truck runs great and has never let me down. Just started to develope a manifold leak but nothing that cant be fixed. I would buy another one of these. They are great trucks. Plenty of power and getting around 12- 14 mpg towing and plowing.