1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looking to add one paying customer

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by ryankulw, Dec 8, 2010.

1. ryankulw

ryankulw Junior Member
    from WI

I have one person who owns a business near one of my rental properties that wants me to plow her business........i basically bought a plow this year to plow only our own family properties but this business is so close that id like to do it to offset the cost of the plow i purchased this year. Does anyone have a generic plow agreement that covers most pitfalls that i could view? I am not looking to do any commercial or try to get in on anyone elses business, just would like to get this one as her business is new this year, she paid the business next door to do it last weekend and they gave her a $250 bill, which seems pretty high, considering she still had to do the walks and they didnt salt.......Would anyone like to share there contract? im in the se wi area.....not trying to go big or anything, i have enough of my own to do, but i do have a property that is so close and it actually is on the other side of town from all of our other locations, just trying to make back some gas money and offset the $2600 i paid for the plow this year.....
    Thanks guys

2. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

As soon as you accept any type of payment for plowing YOU ARE COMMERCIAL.
    $250.oo is nothing unless it is only a 50x50 foot lot.

She may be new but ya know what? Welcome to the world of business expenses. Even doing your own properties just to save money makes you commercial technically. Call your insurance agent and ask how long they will cover you once either someone hits you or you do some sort of damage while plowing.

Most insurance will not even cover the plow hanging on the truck for personal use because it is a add on item. I would think long and hard about undercutting the guy she has now. His prices are set to cover expenses and to feed his family. ;)

His price is not just to get back gas money or help pay for a plow. :dizzy:

3. greywynd

greywynd PlowSite.com Addict

Yep, I talked to my insurance agent a couple hours ago, and asked if I were to put a plow and harness on a truck just for my driveway if I could avoid the extra insurance. She knows I have GL and other coverage already for my business, and said that she could run it past the insurance company, but doubted it, even if I signed a waiver.

4. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Which is why policies that cover snow plowing and equipment specifically say snow plowing insurance. I learned the hard way a couple of years ago thinking GL and a construction insurance policy would cover me.
    How wrong I was. :cry:

Last edited: Dec 8, 2010