1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looking to add battery 97 ford

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by flashinglight, Nov 18, 2007.

1. flashinglight

flashinglight Junior Member
    from maine

I'm just wondering if anyone has found a good place to mount a second battery in a 96-97 Ford with a 5.8L. It seems there is too much junk under the hood!!!

Thanks in Advance
  2. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

Can you do it like a diesel? What is mounted in the front driver's side?
  3. Mudman78

Mudman78 Senior Member
    from NJ

Is it a 96 or a 97? The F150 body style changed between those years. If it has a 5.8L it should be a 96. In 97 they went with the 4.6L & 5.4L Triton motors. A 96 is easy to run dual batteries. You can get all the parts (tray, cables & windshield washer/coolant overflow bottle) from a late 80's or 90's diesel at a junk yard. The driver's side tray mounts where your windshield washer/coolant overflow bottle sits now. They relocate the bottle on the diesel to fit the tray.
    If it's an F250/F350 then it can be a 97. They didn't switch to the SuperDuty body style until 98. The same parts apply as above.
  4. flashinglight

flashinglight Junior Member
    from maine

Ok sounds good, is the diesel's containers a bit smaller?

Thanks for the info, I will look around!
  5. Mudman78

Mudman78 Senior Member
    from NJ

It's shaped differently to mount in a different location. Your old one won't fit where the diesel one sits.
  6. Tscape

Tscape Senior Member

7. 5.8L Bronco '95

I couldnt find a place for a 2nd battery.

I went to sears and bought the last Diehard Platinum/
    wafer technology, sealed, and guaranteed 48mo no charge.
    pricey: $190 otd
    Very big reserve power.

I have had one day of plowing with a new 130amp alt (extra cables to bat/grnd)

Worked for me so far.
    More later
  8. amscapes03

amscapes03 Member

excellent link turfscape