1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looking like a messy wx for Mon. & Tues.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by wxmn6, Dec 16, 2001.

1. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

It looks like it is going to be messy in some portions of Northeast. Snow, sleet, freezing rain, and rain for Monday and Tuesday. Expected to start with snow and sleet for all day on Monday then turn into freezing rain and rain at night. May continue to be icy on Tuesday. Probably will have some shoveling and salting to do.

2. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

We will pretreat the lots in the early AM, and see what developes from there.
    Dino

3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Looks like we are going to get a little freezing rain,then change over,its tough to call this since the changeover line is so close to where i live.,just 1 hr north of me,its going to stay freezing/rain,sleet all day,what a mess.I love it.

4. 66Construction

66Construction Senior Member

This is going to be a big headache. The weather wont be enough to keep everyone busy so I have to bounce back and forth making sure the accounts are safe and my houses are still being built right. I'm gonna do some serious pretreating if the weather guessers are pretty sure it wont start as rain.
    Casey

5. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

Looks like temps should be above freezing by the time rain hits your (and my) area.

Question: If you pre-treat and this turns into a non-event (rain only) how do you bill? Or are all your accounts seasonal pay?

6. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

You might know. I just got my new sander on Friday and have an appointment to get the front end aligned 8:00 AM on Monday. I'll keep my fingers crossed for rain.

Gene

7. 66Construction

My accounts are mostly flat rate, but cover no ice events. If I know there's ice coming I'll pretreat, because the property manager will eventualy call and want us to salt. The thing is they wont call untill the situation is bad, then transfering liability to me and leaving me with a huge problem. If i pre-treat I stay ahead of the game, since I dont handle every account for every property manager they go by conditions overall and not just my accounts, so when they make the call to spend the money on de-icing they do it across the board. while the other guys are scrambling to spread yard upon yard of salt and watch cars slide across the parking lot I'm spreading just a litle to maintain the wet pavement.

To answer your question what happens if the weather doesnt materialize.... I'm sol (s*** outa luck) But I'd rather spend a little on salt and loose a little sleep rather then run the risk of getting sued. I charge a lot for extras such as icing events when the contract doesnt cover ice events due to the liability(like I said before, they don't call untill it's bad, and the emergency response is guaranteed in 2 hours) That leaves me with a lot of salting to do in a little time, after that 2 hour window any slip and fall accident is my problem. So I come out ahead in the end because even if i spread the material for free once or twice it will pay off in the end because of my mark up. ie 75-100$ to spread 150lbs of salt on a 10,000sf lot where if it's part of a contract I'll spread a yard of treated salt for maybe $300
    Casey

8. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

We are 50% seasonal and 50% per service. We will charge for the service no matter what happens with the precip. We do not have a crystal ball, and have to use our best judgement along with the latest forcasts. I hope my customers have enough trust in me, that they dont think I am performing a non needed service.
    Fot the record it is 7.23 am and it just started sleeting.
    Dino

9. thelawnguy

It started sleeting here just before 7. I was up around 5, checked the latest NWS alerts and radar imagery, and decided to pre-treat my accounts. Glad I did, as this means I can sit tight til after the morning rush is done (830)

10. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Currently at 9am 12/17/01 it is freeze raining here.

11. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Must be going around me. Bone Dry here. Crazy New England weather. I am ready if it does get a little icy though.

12. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

snow, sleet, and freezing rain right now here. came back from storrs CT, and the state is putting down sand/salt mixture, as well as the towns. now they are saying it may do this all day. crazy weather is right, thats for sure.

13. thelawnguy

Just in from checking my accts, all are wet and ice-free as its raining and not freezing (34F air temp) except for grassy areas on north side of buildings.

I also picked up another ton of bulk salt while I was out since my gut feeling is once dusk arrives all will re-freeze.

14. Rooster

Rooster Member
    from Kansas

Great news from our members in the N.E. area.

If any of you snow guys up there have a digital camera, could you take some pics (just 1 or 2) for us that haven't had the privilige of the winter precip yet. :cool:

Good Luck

15. 66Construction

It started sleeting here around 6 AM or a little earlier, things got icy quick. We started pre-treating at 4, right now almost noon the accounts are all wet pavement and no calls from the clients, there's not much going on outside but temps are still below freezing. Now I need a nap because tonight will probably be loads of fun when this all freezes up again.
    Casey

16. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

It's suppossed to start here in Nova Scotia early tommorrow morning, the gov weather service says up to 4", the weather network 6" to 12", with the bulk of the snow in the early afternoon, I hate that because it means I'll have to babysit my commercials all day, especially with Christmas a few days away, which means traffic will be crazy, because the last minute shoppers can't afford to miss a day!! Knock on wood, it's been 2 years since I backed over a Car!

Bill

17. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

8:15 p.m. in Pittsburgh Pa. and it's been raining since before sunrise. The temp. is 54 degrees. I'm beginning to hate everyone and everything. :mad: (Especially those of you who have cold air to work with.)

18. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Patience everyone.