1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looking forTips for Plowing While in Highschool

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by maxslights, Oct 8, 2012.

1. maxslights

maxslights Member

I'm a 17 year old highschool student in Eastern Nebraska and I recently purchased a plow. I also have gotten my name out to local lawn care companies who plow in the winter. I was recently contacted by one of these companies to help plow a hospital parking lot. I'm just looking for tips, tricks, ect. for a first timer, and while plowing in school. I know I'll have to pull late nights, and early mornings, but I'm okay with that. Any suggestions is appreciated.
  2. greywynd

greywynd PlowSite.com Addict

Get proper insurance.
  3. AugustArborists

AugustArborists Member
    from Wyoming

First, welcome to the plowing world, second, check with your insurance company and make sure you are covered. I had my CDL at age 18, but no one would hire me 'cause of insurance stuff, I hope things go better for you.
  4. maxslights

maxslights Member

I was quoted $2400 for a season to change our F250 over to commercial contractor insurance. Then I would have to be added as the primary driver of the truck, and the primary driver of another vehicle. Then I would have to tax and license the truck as a commercial vehicle. It's just not worth the money, time and effort to go that route. However, the guy I am plowing for at the hospital said his insurance would be able to cover me for $10 an hour. I'm okay with that since I'm just starting out, but I will have to work this out over time.

Any tips for insurance?
  5. greywynd

greywynd PlowSite.com Addict

Since you mention 'our' truck, I assume this might be a family vehicle?

I'd be hesitant to believe that his insurance will cover you for $10/hour. I might believe it if you have your lawyer go over all the details and then tells you that.

Being a hospital, it's a high traffic, high liability situation, and I would almost bet that there will be claims, and that you'll be named on some of them. Really want to risk your future, and your family's if that happens?
  6. maxslights

maxslights Member

My dad and I went both in on the truck, and I bought the plow. I say ours rather than Mine to give him the gratitude he deserves. I will have to get more information from him, and I will also have to get another quote on plow insurance, away from our family insurance agent.
  7. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Being that you live at home, and your parents claim you as a dependent, most states will allow suing your parents should you cause a loss. Unfortunately, they could lose everything they own because of you. This is why it's crucial for you to obtain insurance. Best part is that you can go out and do driveways, and other jobs, and not be locked into just that one gig.

Personally, you might be better off working for someone else, driving their vehicle, but I admire your initiative and zest for doing this on your own. I wish I had that at "high school age".

Good luck and hope all goes well.
  8. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

All i can say is be careful. Do you know this guy that is hiring you? Him just saying it will cost $10 to insure you alarms me. I am willing to bet he just knocks off $10 an hour and doesnt do anything. And when you do have an accident or incident while plowing, he will just say screw you and not pay you then dump you. It happens all the time. I dont understand why you would buy a truck and plow without having a game plan. You should have just worked for someone and drove their truck instead. There is a reason that commercial insurance costs you $2400. Because crazy dangerous issues happen all the time and when you do have a claim, its usually a big one. If you dont have proper insurance, dont plow!