1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looking for your help!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Land Design, Jan 15, 2003.

1. Land Design

Land Design Member

I'm lookin for you help and opinion....

I have a 02 f350 with timbrins in rear , psd, reg. cab 8ft. boss. 2yd v box. Last week i took the salter into service and the mechanic and i noticed that the rear support of the salter sitting inside the bed was crushing/denting the bed. This happened because inside the bed the salter co. installed it by only placing 2pieces of 2x4 at the only 2 bolt on points under the salter and only cutting the boards 2ft. wide. To make matters worse they sat the salter on the bed where the boards didn't even hit a bed support underneath. The solution as i have now come to find out was to originally have the boards (2x4 or 2x6) running front to back not left to right and have a left to right rear support just behind the spinner. Now I have a dented bed (the size of the 2x4 it was on) 2 bent supports under the bed and 2 crushed support blocks. Ford says i need a new bed, welding it back will only make it break again if i keep salting. New bed is huge$ , and the equipment co. is claiming its not their fault. The structural integrity of the truck frame is fine, i can still plow. the bed is shot though and it looks like i'm done salting for this winter.

Your input/advice is greatly appreciated!

Land Design :realmad:

2. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

Who's Fault

"the equipment co. is claiming its not their fault"

They installed it --it's their problem unless they can prove you overloaded it, thus crushing the bed. But it sounds as if they mis-installed it so find out from the factory as how it's to be installed & then take info back to them. If they still say it's not their problem then sue them. :waving:

3. wyldman

wyldman Member

Whoever installed it should hopefully stand behind their work.You may have to pursue legal action if they won't.

If you can't resolve it with them,there are lots of take off beds around,check with some truck body outfitters.May even finbd one in your color.You could also cut out the damaged sections and reinforce the bed to repair it.It won't look pretty,but it will work.

You can also pull the whole box and mount the spreader on the frame rails.You will probably have to add fenders though.This will work to keep you salter while you get the box problem resolved.

4. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I'm not an attorney, but this doesn't sound right to me! I think I'd start looking for an attorney to listen to this, and maybe write a letter on your behalf. This might wake up the upfitter.

Being an '02, I can understand your frustration, a new truck tore up due to negligence. I'd start the ball rolling.

5. bam

bam Senior Member
    from .

You didn't specify whether it is a single or dual rear wheel. I know this makes a big difference with payload for a 350. however, i would think the beds would still be assembled the same.

When we install our boxes we use a 3.5 to 4' strip, whether it's 2x4's or thick metal strip run driver to passenger side (across the box) at both front and rear. We have stakebodies, however in the few 350 p/u's we have laying around, the truck is set up the same way.

2' is way to short for the 2x4 and there's at least 4' between the wheel wells, so I wonder why they cut the 2x4's so short.

Have you talked with the manager and did you inspect the work before loading up the new installed v box?

I could see there out being that you received your truck back and didn't say anything until the damage occurred. Although, I see your point that they installed the spreader and should know how to install it on a variety of trucks, and if it wasn't overloaded, why are you at fault.

And if your bed is wrecked, does it make any sense to just install a flatbed?

6. SDlawndawg

SDlawndawg Senior Member

Whoever installed it is responsible. It is not your fault since you didn't inspect their work. If the installer doesn't help you out, call your attorney. Good Luck!

7. Land Design

Land Design Member

the truck is a srw. A lawyer has already been contacted. The manager was spoken to and denied responsibility. My biggest concern is if it is possible how do i continue salting with my truck without voiding my warrenty and not spending thousands?

Land Design

8. wyldman

wyldman Member

As I posted earlier,just remover the box (gotta come off anyways to repair it or replace it),and mount the salter right on the frame rails.When you get the box fixed or replaced,then just put the salter back in the box.

9. OffRoadPlow

OffRoadPlow Senior Member

Take a lot of pictures of your problem, and do your self a favor, when the lawyer contacts them next, have him request a list of their clients, and you should contact the BBB and see what you can find for complaints. I would want to know if you are the only one that has complained. This will help if you are not the only one, and with what happened, you may not be.

10. CMerLand

CMerLand Senior Member

Landdesign,

I dont know if this helps but check ebay for beds. I see them on there all the time particularly for newer trucks as people add dumps or whatever. Youll likely find one in your color with enough patience.

Good luck

CMerrick

11. lbyl53

lbyl53 Junior Member

I would do as wyldman says and mount it to the rails after removing the box.

Then I would do a bunch of advertising for the installing company.:realmad:

12. affprop

affprop Junior Member

Truck Bed?

Another Idea is to go to a truck body sales place and ask what they have for take offs they sell them very affordably and lots of times they are new beds, just a thought. Good luck but I still think that the Co. that installed your sander should be somewhat liable.

13. kawdude

kawdude Senior Member

14. Land Design

Land Design Member

thanks for the help guys!

one more question for ya, i did not know they made take off beds until the last posts. I looked at the ones on ebay and they look good but whats the difference between the takeoffs and fords body? is it a different gauge steel? centers? paint?

Thanks,

Land Design

15. wyldman

wyldman Member

A takeoff bed IS a factory Ford bed.When truck ouitfitters install dump bodies,flatbeds,wreckers,or other stuff they take the factory beds off and sell them.Most are brand spanking new,only driven from the dealer to the outfitter.Some may have some use before the owner decide to install another body on the truck.If your truck is a common color,you have a pretty good chance of finding one that you can just bolt on without painting,and will match perfectly.Hopefully your truck is white,as that seems to be the most common.

16. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

check with the local truck equipment guys. the guy who installed my plow, has a ton of take offs because he put the utility bodies on. he sells em for $7-900 and they are brand new.