1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looking For Truck & Plow...Newbie

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Look, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Look

Look Junior Member
    from WA

We purchased a house that will require some plowing to done. The paved driveway into the development and my house is about 1/4 mile, give or take. Will probably have to do my neighbors for another 250 yards or so. From what I hear, the county takes a while to get out to the road that leads into our development, so I may end up doing that just to get to work in the mornings.

I have a few local options:

1996 Ford F350 quad cab long box, 7.5L, 4X4 154K miles, 9.5 (I think) VX Snow Dogg V blade, looks brand new and supposedly pretty much is. Asking $12,950. Salesman said price wasn't set in stone.

1998 Chev 2500 extra cab long box, 7.4L, 4X4, 164K miles, has what appears to be a 8 foot meyers straight blad, fairly used, but looks decent. Asking $7,995.

I don't see myself getting any accounts to do other driveways/roads. I have a job that consumes most of my time.

Any thoughts on these two rigs? Or any other advice that I should be asking for? Thanks in advance!

2. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

If money is not an issue go with the Ford and the V plow. You will find it will clean out much quicker. If you don't want to spend the extra money than the straight blade will do just fine, it will just take a little longer.

3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

A Vblade will open a poad that is drifted ALOT better then a straight blade. Those prices seem high to me on both trucks...so I would shop around more

4. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Both trucks have alot of miles on them and the prices seam kind of high. Is your road/driveway in the woods or out in the open? The reason I ask is fo the amount of drifting. A V plow is the anser if you are out in the open.

5. Look

Look Junior Member
    from WA

We are definitely out in the open, and it does get breezy, so I imagine drifts will definitely come into play.

What would better price ranges for the rigs be? I was thinking $9-10K for the Ford and $6-7K for the Chev?

6. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Ya that sounds bettet. Out of those two trucks the Ford is your best bet IMO.

7. Lugnut

Lugnut Senior Member

Offer 4,000 for the chevy, thats all its worth with that kinda mileage but its all you'll need for the plowing your doing. Sure V plows are quicker and make life easier but if this is all your doing you can afford to make a few extra passes...I've got a 98 with the 5.7 engine and i had that truck on a route that included 2 private roads, 1 a half mile the other a little less, along with driveways and it handled them all fine, even in our 2-3' storm

8. Look

Look Junior Member
    from WA

Thanks for the insite Lugnut. This is exactly the type of advice/guidance I was looking for. I would love for some more of the same if anyone is willing to offer it...

9. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

That quad cab long box is a long truck. Forget about it if you have any tight turns or not a lot of room to turn around.

10. ggkkpp

ggkkpp Junior Member

That is what I was thinking also.......... if its all strait you will be fine but when you need to turn that ford around its going to take a while...

11. Dlongerman

Dlongerman Senior Member
    from IL

u will love the VBlade and once u get a big storm u will hate yourself once it snows alot with the straight

12. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

for one private drive you would never need a vblade, sure it's nice but it's overkill. either blade will be fine, i would recomend getting whatever truck your buying checked out mechanically before you buy, if they already have plows on them they may be beat down and worn out but still look good.