1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

looking for tips advice where and what to buy for hide-a-ways

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by Jim15, Aug 9, 2010.

1. Jim15

Jim15 Member
    from MA

Got whelen mini edge strobe bars on the trucks. 4 strobes, 2 work lights lighting up the truck beds. used one of the extra wires as a pattern select wire may put a vid up of the pattern its set on now, pretty sweet. Anyway looking to add hide-a-ways, first in my 2010 supercab lariat f250. want to do 1 in each front directional (amber) one in each tailight (clear or red) and on in each reverse (clear). Was looking at AW direct (where i got the bars) but for (4) 25' deutsch cables, (2) 15 foot deutsch, (6) head 90W power supply, and (2)ea. of amber, red, and clear heads it was about $850 plus shipping. the AW direct knock offs I believe were around $650. So basically I was wondering what products you guys who have these setups would reccomend (screw in or pop in, deutch vs amp, whelen vs. everyone else, etc.) what colors would be best in front corners, tails, and reverse, and where either online or in MA has the best prices. I heard here is a place up in Haverhill, MA that sells them cheap, but no luck finding it. Also any installation tips (siliconing, etc.)

thanks,

Jim

2. SharpBlades

SharpBlades Senior Member

strobesnmore.com good prices, and excellent customer service

3. Sno What

Sno What Member
    from CT

+1 strobesnmore !

4. kitn1mcc

kitn1mcc Senior Member

personally i would drill out the newer head lights just to much of a risk i would go with some Linz6 or the Whelen Vertex in the grill. were in mass are you located .

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

rear get a bracket for the plate

example
    [​IMG]

5. Jim15

Jim15 Member
    from MA

I was thinking of that before but I thought they would be blocked by the plow frame do you got a video of them at night with the plow frame on? I'm in Burlington. Ive seen the tir 3 leds but didn't think they were bright enough. Also what do you use as a power supply/flasher for those? I would probably use like 4 of those in the grill and then 2 on the license plate maybe 2 on the back of my sidemount toolboxes and reverse and tail light hideaways depending on what I can afford. That would be 12 spots on a powersupply unless I could combine 2 on each (1 front and 1 rear on each space) I could get away with the whelen 6 spot 90 watt p.s.

6. Jim15

Jim15 Member
    from MA

As you can tell I want this to be brighter than those houses in Saugus at Christmas lol. and I would get recon led tail lights to use when not plowing I would just need to be able to disconnect the hideaways but I was hoping I could disconnect those connectors fairly easily

7. kitn1mcc

kitn1mcc Senior Member

8. kitn1mcc

kitn1mcc Senior Member

9. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

Ya so pm me and I'll tell you step by step on how to install them!

10. Jim15

Jim15 Member
    from MA

see the only thing im concerned with them on the grill is that they get blocked out by the plow. I also am not that comfortable drilling out my front turn signals, which also may be blocked again by the plow. thanks for the videos, I noticed you also have motorola's, I take it that thats how you guys communicate. Are they nextels or motorola walk talkies? We are looking at a system (not those junk 2 pair $50 specials) for our trucks and machines. depending on how far of a range you want ( were talking 25, 50, 100+ mile radius, hey were $800 A PIECE. multiply that by a couple pickups, a dump truck, 3 machines and possibly one for the shop, office, and a portable for when you are not in one of those places and your talking about $8,000 to communicate, and we're still growing little by little. any recommendation on that?

11. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

Drill in from the top on your headlight! Much brighter than the turn signals

12. kitn1mcc

kitn1mcc Senior Member

actually it is my friends company i just sell and install the radios. they are on vhf we are in the proccess of redoing the system he is up on a hill and we are puting up a mototrbo repeater and sharing it with an electrcial contractor

13. DrakeSabitch

DrakeSabitch Senior Member

hide a way kits

For some good products check out https://www.speedtechlights.com/products.php?catid=9

these are real good, i recommend the 120 W kit. Pretty close to Whelen quality BUT WITHOUT the price. Even the LED hide a ways are at a good price. I have the 80 watt kit in my truck, awesome at night, decent in the day. I bought them on a web sale for 90 bucks.

14. CMA337

CMA337 Junior Member
    from MA