1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looking for the right plow

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by TFCfan2021, Feb 11, 2010.

1. TFCfan2021

TFCfan2021 Junior Member

I have a 95 GMC Jimmy and im looking for a plow for that vehicle. I found Homsteader and found that they make a specific plow system for my truck. Is it decent? Is it too light for heavy snow? Should I use the 6'8" or the 7'4"? Are there any other good plows for my vehicle?

Thanks

2. TFCfan2021

TFCfan2021 Junior Member

Im looking to do my driveway and my neighbors on my road, plus a few small lots untill I get rolling.

3. ajman21

ajman21 Senior Member

i have never used a homsteader i had a s10 that handled a western 7'6" fine look for something like that used.

4. ggb6259

ggb6259 Senior Member
    from SW MI

I just looked at all the lighter weight plows and ended up with a Snow Dogg..
    Very happy with it so far......

gb

5. Krieger91

Krieger91 Senior Member

Other good plows are the Western Suburbanite, which is basically the same thing. I don't know from experience, but what I've heard is that they're decent for lightweight stuff, I wouldn''t try to push alot of the wet, heavy stuff.

The other plow I know of that should fit, because it'd go on my '94 S10 Blazer, is the Sno-Way 22. That's available in 6'8" and 7'6". Very customizable, and I've heard nothing but good about them.

I would say to contact your local dealers and see what they say.

6. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

I have a 99 GMC Jimmy i plow with as my main truck and have a Blizzard 680 on it (they are also direct lift). It does fine in the wet/heavy snow it just takes a little longer to get it done. I am thinking about upgrading to a 720 mold board for the extra width and dont think the truck would have any problems handling it. Reguardless what plow you go with make sure your ball joints are in good condition (they go bad all the time in these trucks even without the plow on) and get a plow with a known name (avoid the big box stores for a plow). Also one of my subs plows with a S10 pick up with a 6'6" meyer without any problems as well. Sorry if this is a repeat post for me, I didnt see it when i sent it via my blackberry:confused: