1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looking for subs in Chicagoland

Discussion in 'Networking' started by rv4jesus, Dec 5, 2011.

1. rv4jesus

rv4jesus Member

I am pursuing a business idea to get more commercial and residential plowing work on an as needed/emergency basis. If we get enough interest we will need a number of subcontractors covering Chicagoland for starters. You may need to be available on short notice but pay would be commensurate with response time and I expect many of the initial jobs would be during the day after most of your regular customers have been taken care of and could lead to regular work. How many independent owner operators are interested?

PM me your equipment list and experience. Proof of insurance will be required. Thanks.

2. snowprice

snowprice Junior Member
    from chicago

subs in chicago

yes always interested in more work 30 plus truck 5 v box spreaders and 12 skid steers

3. SMITTY55

SMITTY55 Junior Member

4. rv4jesus

rv4jesus Member

thanks for the responses so far

A few of you have PM'd me but I need more people to make this work. Please keep sending me your equipment list, service area and experience if you are interested. I actually prefer people who are not close by so we can cover all of Chicagoland without anyone having to travel too far.

Once we have enough operators available across our target area I plan to do radio and print advertising. Prices will be quoted in advance and you will have the chance to accept, reject or request a modified price on each job before beginning the work.

Rick

5. pushingsnow

pushingsnow Member

interested in southwest burbs and further south west

i live close to interstate 80 just starting out have 05 f250 7 foot blade this year i would be mostly a backup not doing contracts myself girlfriend due in jan need extra money but need to be there to help with little one

6. I would be willing to help also. I would like for you to pm me and we can talk more

7. SnowPlowingDude

SnowPlowingDude Junior Member

I am interested...not able to send PM's yet, so I sent you an email...Keep us up to date on how its going..

8. R.J.S. SNOWPLOW

R.J.S. SNOWPLOW Senior Member

Give me a call 773-798-0350 ask for joe

9. pushingsnow

pushingsnow Member

pm me or call me 18158221247 also have texting

10. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

Is this a "National" in the making...?

11. rv4jesus

rv4jesus Member

I'd rather think of us as a network of giant killers.

Or maybe the people the big box manager calls when they are stuck with snow and ice on their lot.

I'm just a little guy trying to do what I can to get more work for people who are team players. I believe that a network of independent responsible contractors has many inherent advantages. My other company is a small printing and graphics business with an advertising background. We are trying to leverage that to help a team of snow professionals.

So far interest is growing and Lord willing we will get enough people to do some radio ads.
    Please keep those cards and letters coming!

I hope you have a blessed Christmas season with plenty of snow.

Thanks

12. Dodge Plow Pwr

Dodge Plow Pwr Senior Member

I have 2 trucks and info in my sig. I am in Kendall county. I too am in the print industry. I own and operate a label printing company.

13. rv4jesus

rv4jesus Member

In what case would you prefer to be a subcontractor?

We want to be as valuable to all the owner operators out there as we can be. Are there any cases where would you prefer to work as a subcontractor? Why or why not?

What if you made more money? What if your hours were more regular? What if you spent more time plowing and less time driving to your customers? What if you had a growing client base that suited your equipment? What if you had a well orchestrated advertising program? What if you didn't have to hassle with billing and collection? I believe we can achieve all this and more but only if we work together.

If you have questions about what I am talking about send me a PM or call Rick at 847.759.8500. Those of you who don't think this business plan is a good idea, please let me know why so I can try to work out any potential problems.

I understand that you may have had issues subcontracting in the past. I know low pay and not getting paid at all are the biggest problems. With our arrangement you will be paid within 15 days of the completion of the job at a rate probably near that of your own regularly scheduled clients. You have the opportunity to get work that can lead to additional scheduled work or even clients of your own if you want to buy them, but I think you won't want to, when this works like it should.

We are team players, are you? If you are interested please send me a PM. We are getting closer with our website, phone system and advertising but I still have lots of areas to cover in Chicagoland before we roll this out and I prefer working with other little guys, it just takes a lot of us. I especially need sidewalk crews and people who want to do residential.

Thanks for taking the time to consider this and for whatever feedback you may have, positive or negative.

Although I do love plowing snow myself, I am probably more valuable helping you succeed.

Rick Vogeney

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
  14. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

I'll bite, suscribing to hear this out.

15. ram0098

ram0098 Junior Member

Rick,

I would be interested in what work you have to offer for us, of course after we finish our contracted routes we currently have. We focus on Residential work but would take commercial as well, we have 5 company owned trucks equipped with front and rear pull plows, and 5 subs w/trucks that work for me as well. You also said you are in need of sidewalk crews, we have 7 workers that maintain sidewalks for us. Our yard is out of Wheeling, IL. Please respond with the work you have available for us.

16. rv4jesus

rv4jesus Member

Mike you are right down the road from us

Please give me a call and lets see how we can work together. I'd like to stop by your shop or you could come to mine. Rick Vogeney 847.759.8500

17. cosgo

cosgo Member

subscribing

18. lotus6six

lotus6six Junior Member
    from Chicago

2005 ford f250, new wide out. south loop. may be able to help out.
    James
    708-476-3555

19. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

work is always welcome... PM sent..

20. rv4jesus

rv4jesus Member

Progress Report #1

Plowsite really is a great place to network, and what better time to do it than when it's warm out!

May I extend a heartfelt thank-you to all who have expressed an interest in our plan so far. And, thanks for those who have given helpful criticism and advice, I take it seriously so that we can circumvent any problems.

I have about 10 or 15 contractors across the Chicagoland area who have expressed interest and given me some of their information. The more people we get on our team the easier it will be for all of us (less driving to jobs that you are best suited for) and the more prudent it will be to advertise on the radio.

We are close to having enough people to run some radio ads but it may mean a bit more driving in the short term than I expect you would prefer to do. My goal is to have you working within a 5-mile radius of your location for most jobs. I would like to have 50-100 contractors over the Chicago area. Once we have established contractors in an area that are doing a good job, new team members could still be used for specific needs and backup, so lets get started!

If you have been unsure now is the time to climb on board. We have a kind of Catch22 problem here-- I really can't advertise much on radio until I have enough contractors to cover the expected response. If any team members are interested in distributing flyers in your area let me know, once you are all signed up I can make them available to you at a reduced cost. I find they are very effective around this time.

On a serious note, before we send you work we absolutely need proof of insurance and signed contracts. This is critical. Please fax them to me at 847.759.8540 or email them to rick@plowteam.com

Some of you may have figured out by now the name of our company is PlowTeam. We are working on the website and phone system to make sure they will serve both you and the customer well once they are done.

Thanks for your interest, please keep it up and have a blessed Christmas Holiday.

Rick Vogeney