1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looking for spreader feedback

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by ddm, Sep 11, 2001.

1. ddm

ddm Member

I am looking for a smaller sized spreader-- slide in type unit.
    Currently we are using 2 tailgate models on our trucks and have had pretty good experience with them. However, I would like more capacity as too much time is being spent loading them. I have a fuel tank mounted in the front of an 8' pickup box that I would hate to lose, so a normal 8' hopper unit isn't going to work well. Something in about a 5 or 6 foot range would be much better to fit and I thingk would give me the additional capacity I'm looking for. I found a spreadator model while surfing, has anyone had any experiences?? Or can point me to any other mfg. that has something?? Any feed back would be great!!
  2. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

Spreadator seems to work fine, other than it tends to put down a bit too much material if you're using straight salt. The short one uses a narrower drag chain, I think, so it might not have the problem. If you're going to use sand mix the wide chain is fine.
  3. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I just looked at the Downeaster 4 foot model. I think I am going to go with that one.
  4. ddm

ddm Member

Thanks for the input guys. I'm checking out the downeaster
    unit now. Looks like it's just about right size. ;)
  5. pcs

pcs Senior Member

do you have the web site?
  6. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

7. ddm

ddm Member

I got some literature on the Downeaster model this weekend.
    It looks to be a very well built and solid spreader for its size.
    Has anyone had any experiences with the all electric operation instead of a gas powered unit. Around here all I've seen guys use is the gas motor type V boxes. Mostly I would be curious to know what kind of amperage draw there is on the trucks elec. system??

Also what do you guys all think about stainless over regular steel on the v-boxes. There seems to be quite a price difference with all mfg's in this area so is the stainless unit worth spending the extra money or not??
  8. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

Talk to Dino Plowking he has a smith electric and loves it
  9. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

I have a smith/harder all electric stainless model. The amp draw of the v box is less than that of a plow which I believe is around 200 amps give or take a few amps, and that will vary by plow maker. Also that draw stays full amount till you are done raising or angling the plow.
    Conversely with the spreader the high draw is at startup only, once running the amp draw drops big time. I will put it this way, the light do not dim when I start or while the spreader is running. My unit ran 3500.00, only about 500 more than a gas/steel combo.
    I have never had any problems with the unit in 4 seasons. It is quiet, efficient, and doesnt really have any maint. issues at all.
    I cant say about downeasterner, but the smith unit is great.
  10. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

If you go with a gas spreader (regardless of make), pay attn to the engine that comes with it. You probably want the Tecumseh or Honda. The Honda is generally an option and I think around $500. The Briggs & Stratton comes with instructions on how to fix it.
  11. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

The electrics are becoming a very popular alternative. They are quiet like a hydraulic model. Maybe this does not matter in a Ford Diesel but it would be quieter in a gas engine then have a little lawnmower engine roaring through a condo complex at 4 am. The electric motor develops plenty of power without a high amp draw and is less weight and maintanence then a gas engine.