1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looking for spreader advise

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by crazyal, Jan 27, 2005.

1. crazyal

crazyal Junior Member

I building a house this spring on some land I purchased a few years ago. This is the first year I've tried keeping the road open. It's about a 1/4 mile long and has a few steep hills. I'm looking for advice on tailgate spreaders. What size would work on my road (two 100 yard sections of road would need heavy sanding while the rest would be light to moderate)? There's a gravel pit close by so I was planning on using their gravel (it's pea sized and smaller), will this work in a tailgate spreader? I would like not to have to fill it more than once per sanding. I do have an old (75') international 4wd dump truck with a 10' plow that I could put a v box in but since I'm only doing my driveway I would prefer not to go that rout unless what I have to. Thank you in advance from a cold Northern Vermont!
  2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

You need to find one that has a conveyor in the bottom of it. Western and Fisher make one that is the same and Air-Flow also make one. The Air-Flow holds 400lbs while the other 2 hold 1200lbs.
  3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

What kind of vehicle do you have to put a tail gate model on?
  4. crazyal

crazyal Junior Member

Thanks for the responces. I have a full size 1/2 ton pickup and the dump truck is a 2 1/2 ton 5 yard. Both have 2" receiver hitches. I was thinking the pickup would be easier to manuver and is why I was leaning towards a smaller tailgate vs. a much larger v box. I would perfer to use gravel over salt because I can get it for $3/yrd. and since I have my own dump truck there is no delievery charge.