1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looking for some input please!

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Brian Young, Feb 24, 2007.

1. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I am kinda in a dilema, next year we plan on getting a new salt spreader, we only use aproximately 2 yards per run. We have a Meyers mini jr and we run bulk and bagged salt. The mini just doesnt cut it, it spreads bulk no problem but it seems to only lay down a nice 2-3ft path. I was thinking of getting a Fisher Speed Caster 2 or just a Speed Caster but if I'm gonna spend close to 3k I might as well just buy a V box and be done with it. We are installing a dump bed insert this spring and I dont want to be taking that out every fall. I have a place where I can load bulk with a skid steer but that guy is kinda shaky so I dont know if we will be doing business with him next year. I was thinking of getting a stainless steel insert so I could just load the dump bed and shovel the salt into a bigger tail gate spreader. I dont know, Ive been spinning this around in my head for weeks now and I'm hoping someone might be able to give their thoughts, sorry for the rambling and thanks for any input.

2. mrplowdude

mrplowdude Senior Member

get the spreader tailgate for the dump insert. Its small to store and works great from what people are saying.

3. KentuckyPlow

KentuckyPlow Member

For $3000 you can get a Buyers Salt Dogg. It's poly, so no rust, two guys can lift it, and it's all electric. That way you don't have a pile of salt sitting in your truck bed all winter, eating away at it.

4. purpleranger519

purpleranger519 Senior Member
    from Kansas

If your going to be using a mixture of salt/sand get a V-box or undertailgate. Stay away from the electric/poly units if you intend on throwing sand, the motors won't pull the weight of the sand and you will be shoveling it out. Especially if you get wet sand.
    Sno-way from here on out for me!!!

5. mrplowdude

mrplowdude Senior Member

6. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine