1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looking for some information - new part timer

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by njsnow88, Oct 16, 2015.

1. njsnow88

njsnow88 Junior Member

A family member of mine owns a successful commercial property management company here in nj. Looking to use my own truck and plow to help out part time this season on his lots. Would not be out there too often, since i need to coordinate around my day job. Aiming to clock around 30 or so gours for the season. Questions i havenrelate to insurance. It is my own personal truck, i do not own my own business. He uses alot of outside help during the season, drivers withbtheir own trucks who are not his direct employees. If a slip and fall or anything of that nature were to occur, he assured me that it goes onto his company and not me or him individually. I guess im just curious about anything else i may need to be concerned about regarding insurance for someone in my position. Is just keeping my usual personal policy ok? Are there anybother guys out there who do part time work like this, or work with anyone who does?

Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks!

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

It's called subcontracting. And you better believe YOU need insurance for your new part time plowing job.

3. njsnow88

njsnow88 Junior Member

Appreciate the response, can you elaborate a bit?

4. dieselss

5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Ether you fillout the paperwork to be an employee
    Or you fillout the paperwork for a 1099.

As a employee you can be listed on his ins.

Otherwise you need yourown policy to coveryou.
    Why would his insurance coveryou?
    They have no idea who you are or your relationship.

And if someone should fall in a lot youplowed
    Their attorney is gong to go after everyone involved.
    Evenyou.

6. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

Best possible advise, talk to your insurance company.

Edit to add...
    Insurance & liability requirements can vary by state.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2015
  7. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

You may need to go talk with a CPA, .
    You see, it looks like your an employee.
    I know you thnk your a subcontractor.
    If you were you would have the nessacary comsershail insurance in place.
    ( your ins guy maybe wrong)
    Other wise He would be treating you just like a contractor he hired.

Take a look at what the irs has to say about it
    " employee or contractor"

8. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

I do have a CPA, I claim my income and pay taxes on it.

9. njsnow88

njsnow88 Junior Member

Same here, i will not be handling any ice management. That is handled by direct employees. I would just be going out on any oarger storms we get to help out and make some extra cash.

10. njsnow88

njsnow88 Junior Member

In addition to just my own personal auto policy, is it possible to have just a seasonal insurance during say november-april while not having my own business actually established?

11. dieselss

Contact the insurance agent that's in n.y. that posts. Hes extremely.helpful

12. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

13. dieselss

Yep that's the guy. Thanks for the link K

14. Ben/Insurance

Ben/Insurance Sponsor

njsnow88, your personal auto insurance policy covering your plow truck mostly likely excludes "business pursuits" so it will NOT respond if you damage something or hurt someone while plowing. You need a commercial auto policy. Check with your agent (if you have one) to make sure as laws differ from state to state. On the slip/fall claim, anyone at that job site, that involved removing snow/ice, will be brought into a claim/lawsuit. Without a GL (general liability) policy you will have no protection. You can ask your friend to have you added as an "additional insured" on his/her GL policy but I highly doubt their insurer will go along with it. Good luck.
    Ben

15. njsnow88

njsnow88 Junior Member

Sorry for the stupid question, i am new to this - i would assume you cant have commercial auto insurance or GL without a business license?

16. njsnow88

njsnow88 Junior Member

Can one activate commercial coverage only during the snow season then switch back to personal?

17. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

Don't believe so, the insurance companies don't operate that way. I'm in Jersey, have been sued. Ben is correct, if someone gets hurt in any way, they sue everyone involved. And it can last for years depending on seriousness of damage.