1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looking for some help with a Fisher Control Valve Assembly

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by flyman420, Nov 11, 2007.

1. flyman420

flyman420 Junior Member
    from maine

Hello All,

I am new to the site and I am looking for some guidance. I have an older plow truck and it has the old style belt driven hydraulics. When I raise the Blade it slowing drops down I have been told that it is my control valve assembly allowing fluid by. I know that I do not want to buy one new 400 - 600 bucks ouch. So I am looking for some suggestions on rebuilding mine or some guidance on where to find one used. Basically I am looking for some advice to fix this issue before snow flies. Thanks for your help I greatly appreciate any input.

2. BoulderBronco

BoulderBronco Senior Member

First thing to do would be to verify that it is in fact the valve. Most of the time it's just the cable needing adjustment. Do some adjustments and see if that works. If not then you may be right about the valve having a leak down issue. If I am not mistaken they can not be rebuilt. You could find one on Ebay and take your chances that it works or do the painful route of buying new. Good luck.

3. R&R Repair

R&R Repair Junior Member

they can be rebuilt...I have done quite a few. Make sure every thing is real clean...work space too. Disassemble and replace o-rings these are what generally leaks and causes the leak down of the lift and weaping of the angle side to side under pressure. If you don't want to tackle it you can ship it and I can rebuild it for you.Cheaper than new or most used. If it's too far gone I have a couple of used ones cheap.

4. Brian Simmons

Brian Simmons PlowSite.com - Sponsor

Try rotating the raise spool 180°. These spools are machined fit to each valve so they cannot be replaced. By rotating the raise spool you are providing a new surface against the valve. It may not completely fix it but may get you buy for another year or so. The reason it is dropping is the tolerance between the spool and valve has opened up. If this does not work the valve will need to be replaced. O-rings will not fix this issue.

Sincerely,
    Brian E. Simmons

5. flyman420

flyman420 Junior Member
    from maine

Thanks for your help is there manual on how to adjust the cables properly? Also When you say to rotate the spool do you mean to rotate the valve with the cable connected to it or are you refering to something different? Sorry for all the questions I am very new to the game and need some guidance. Thank again.

6. Brian Simmons

Brian Simmons PlowSite.com - Sponsor

Remove the cable from the valve, spin the spools 180° and reattach the cables. This may or may not work depending on how worn out the valve is.