1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looking for some feedback... (Detroit, MI area)

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Winter Cleanup, Nov 19, 2009.

1. Winter Cleanup

Winter Cleanup Junior Member

I am looking to get a plow installed on my truck. I have a 96 f250 diesel crew cab short box. I have been told that the Western poly is the way to go.

Today I called around and got quotes for a Western 8' poly pro - blade, mount, parts, tax and install from $5200 - 4950.

I checked out 4qte.com and they offered to ship me a 2009 Western 8' poly pro - blade, mount, parts, tax, shipping for $4375.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a place that will do the install only in the Detroit Area for a reasonable amount?

An unnamed company was extremely helpful today but flat out told me im looking at $600+ for install since hes not making the money on the sale of the equipment. Plus, when i come in for service I will be put in line behind the guys who bought a plow direct from him. Is this the kind of thing to expect from garages around here?

Any feedback is welcomed. Thanks

2. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Check with Marks welding...734-282-9393...I know he does repairs on everything..Salters, Plows,Etc and i think he does installs..He is located at Allen and Pennsylvania....:waving:

3. Matson Snow

ALSO....Welcome to Plowsite

4. 33yearsinsnow

33yearsinsnow Senior Member
    from ohio

Typically that is the responce you will recieve from any plow dealer as they want the sale on the plow. You need to find a local garage that knows how to install plows and they will still charge typically $300 -$500 to do the install (my local guy charges $400.00). As far as Warranty goes yes the local Western distributer has to take care of it but has the right to put you to the back of the line.

5. Winter Cleanup

Hmm, thanks for the info guys. Just out of curiosity if I have the local guy do the install, do you know if it will void any of the Western warranty? I thought about trying the install myself. I have no problem with the electrical but if the install includes more than nuts and bolts like welding and cutting im in too deep lol. Probably not worth it to save a few bucks. Just like im thinking if I get the plow off the net and have it installed saves me $200, then my truck sits at the Western shop for a day or two cause its at the end of the line, im gonna loose more than $200. So thinking logically I think the local Western guys got me the 8@!!$ on this one. -Thanks for the info.

6. Matson Snow

Did you check with The Outdoor Experts...I think they are a Western Dealer

7. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Theres no cutting and welding but will be some drilling to get the mount on. A good air compressor, air drill and impact will also make a big differance as to wether or not you should try it yourself. If you have that stuff, doing the build and install is a great way to learn how the whole thing goes together. I would plan on making a day of it and its a good idea to call a buddy over who is also mechanically inclined for the day, a extra set of hands and another set of eyes to look at the destructions helps.

8. 33yearsinsnow

33yearsinsnow Senior Member
    from ohio

It can get a little tricky about Warranty. If it is a manufacture defect then the plow should be covered under Warranty. The problem you can run into is that the Dealer can come back to you and state the failure is due to improper instalation so I would say to try and make friends with the local distributer and monitor this web site for any common problems that people are seeing through out the season. On a 96 Ford the mount can be a little bit of a pain as you will need to drill holes but i believe you can install it yourself with a little time.

9. timberjack

timberjack Member

I did the install on the last Western i bought. An 8.5' Pro plow, i put on a 95 F250 in 2005.

I'm pretty mechanically inclined, and working alone, with lots of breaks to re-study the installation manuals, it took me 2 short days. I'd recommend it to anyone with the tools, and some know how. It's indeed a great way to see how your new plow functions, further than just pressing the controls. That's a great help in troubleshooting should you run into some problems and can then fix it yourself, and not have to rely on the dealer for the small repairs, and thus maybe not be kept waiting until after the tier 1 customers are served.

FWIW - i've compared my handiwork to some the local dealer installed, and let's just say, my underhood component placement and wiring work was far cleaner.

10. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

I have a installer in the area that would do it for 250.00 - 300.00 if your interested send me a PM.

11. Winter Cleanup

Thanks for all the advice. I ordered my 8' Western Poly through 4qte.com today. When I get an estimated delivery date I am going to call the places suggested to see who/what I want installed. Im thinking, like suggested, if I get the mount installed only and do the rest myself I will learn a lot more about my plow then just paying someone else to do the install. Which may save time and money again down the road if something were to break. -Thanks again.

12. fourspeedfish

fourspeedfish Member

Southgate hitch by chance?

13. Winter Cleanup

Ha no I was warned to keep my distance from them unless absolutely necessary. The company I spoke with was in Warren.