1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

looking for some advice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by redskinsfan34, Feb 11, 2010.

1. redskinsfan34

redskinsfan34 Senior Member

I ran into a situation yesterday and I'm looking for advice on how to handle it properly. I'll try not to be confusing. We've had only two significant snowfalls this year here. The first was Jan. 8th. On Jan. 10 a guy I know calls me and says he wants me to plow his driveway because the guy that normally does it (call him Joe) never showed up. He told me he called Joe and that he never returned the call so he figured he wasn't plowing anymore. I took the job and we agreed that I would handle it from then on. Fast forward to yesterday (the next snowfall) I'm doing my route and show up at the guys house and it's already been plowed. I wait till morning and call the guy to ask what's going on. He thought that I had plowed and said well maybe Joe put me back on his list. I reminded him that we agreed I had the job and told him I'd like to continue doing it. It's a pretty simple plow just kinda long so the $ is good for the amount of work. He told me he'd call Joe and let me know what's going on. Where do I go from here. I don't want to piss the guy off.
  2. JR Snow Removal

JR Snow Removal Senior Member

If you don't have a contract it would be up to the homeowner who he wants to go with. It sucks and hopefully the other guy isn't a whole lot cheaper if at all. If your price is good and your work is good I'm sure he will stay with you. Good luck hope it works out in your favor:salute:
  3. Ford Guy

Ford Guy Member

i can't see any customers happy when their contractor only shows up 50% of the time, i don't think you have anything to worry about, and if he does stay with joe, maybe you should politely remind him what happened back on Jan 8
  4. redskinsfan34

redskinsfan34 Senior Member

Thanks guys. Oh, by the way, he told me what the Joe was charging and we agreed I'd do it for the same amount.
  5. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

i think you have little to worry about, i would guess he is going to be calling you back today and telling you he sent "Joe" packing.
  6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Just wait for a call
  7. snowfighter75

snowfighter75 Senior Member

If Joe didn't show once, he'll probably do it again. I would let your customer decide. Tell him just to give you a shout with his decision when he decides. Good luck!
  8. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

It kinda funny how these things work out . My compitition is sorta like Joe he has a funny habit of running around when I am not there and if the state truck has gone by he will stop and plow the mouth of they old customers driveway out [for nothing] and make sure that he is seen. He figures he always has his foot in the door I guess. So even though he knows the guy got rid of him and I am plowing him he will often scoop em out to see if he can ever get em back????? The reason he lost them all in the first place is that he has old junk equipment and shoddy drivers and you never knew when he would show up or even IF he would they were broke down so much????
    I hope your guy sticks with you but you may NOT know the whole story of why that guys wasnt plowing remember there is always Two sides to a story?????
  9. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

No sense worrying, where I'm at driveways are a dime a dozen, I always joke that if I lost one account I could pick up 2 more. Fact is, you show up, whether its plowed already or not they still get billed, its the easiest couple bucks you made the whole storm. Good reason not to mix business and friends though. Good luck