1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looking for software to manage subs

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by TPS Alberta, Mar 21, 2012.

1. TPS Alberta

TPS Alberta Member

Hey guys,

Ive been running a small commercial snow removal business for a couple years now. I started up this business as a way to make a full time income while in university and have been doing very well with it and am now looking at turning this into a full time gig and I am looking to expand. I still want to keep things quite small but am looking to expand a little and get some more equipment to take on larger contracts. Anyways, my problem is that I will be moving away for a year with the woman, so I will be gone for next seasons snow removal. I have contemplated selling the business and the contracts and starting from scratch when I return but Id prefer not to. So I am looking at managing my business from a distance for just this season using some subs that I have used in the past that have been quite reliable, and then getting back into the swing of things myself when I return, and going back to doing most the work with my own equipment.

My question is, do you guys know of any software that I can use to manage my subcontractors from a distance? Something where I can check in on them and the work they performed, such as GPS software and what not? I know some other guys around here are doing this with their subs. I am a little scared to do this as I don't want the quality of the work at my customers locations to suffer. Any suggestions from you guys that manage subs?

2. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

Ya I got a suggestion, Don't do it! I would be very carefull if I were you. You will have to have very very trustworthy & relible subs if you are going to leave them alone for the whole season, they could mess up your name in so many ways. Sorry no sugg. for software.

3. TPS Alberta

TPS Alberta Member

Haha thanks man yeah Im definitely a little skeptical to do it. One of the subs that Ive got is a good buddy of mine who runs a good business doing snow and landscaping and I can trust him to manage the other guys while Im gone but Id still like some software to keep an eye on things. Im not set on doing this, just something Im considering.

4. BC Handyman

ask paul(niege) what he uses for gps, his system seems pretty skookum! I'm pretty sure he's got oprasoft, they are a sponsor on this site, look on the ice managment page, should be an ad at page bottom.

5. BC Handyman

6. cda817

cda817 Senior Member

We use operasoft it will do everything you are looking to keep track and then some.