1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looking for sample written contracts

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by lw4259, Sep 28, 2003.

1. lw4259

lw4259 Junior Member

Hi Everyone,

I am a new member and I am going to start plowing this winter. I could use some help in coming up with a contract for my customers. I have residential an one commercial who would like me to plow for them. I think i know what to charge its the contract that i don't know how to write up.

could someone lend me theirs or show me where to get one.

Also i am going to carry insurance, but can i say there is a limitation to my liability such as curbing or property damage.

thanks for listening

2. Plow Babe

Plow Babe Senior Member

Welcome to PlowSite and the snow removal business! :)

You will find a wealth of information here. Use the "search" feature and you should be able to find a lot of information on contracts, and other topics you will end up having questions about.

Here are some other resources that I would recommend:

The Snow & Ice Management Association (www.sima.org). This is THE trade association for our industry, and all serious contractors, whether large or small, should become members.

www.snowplowing-contractors.com. This website, created by Chuck Smith, also has a wealth of information, everything from mechanical discussions to business operations, also a contractor registry.

Buy and read John Allin's book, "Managing Snow & Ice." This book is like the snowplowing "bible" and will give you a lot of information about contracts, insurance, marketing, etc. It is also available with a CD that has forms on it already. You can then edit to fit your business.

Talk to your insurance agent and make sure you get the correct coverage. Insurance laws vary by state, so check locally, but we include a disclaimer about damage to unmarked or hidden objects, and you may also be able to include something about snow & ice being a naturally occurring condition that you do not assume liability for. Again, have the wording checked by an attorney who knows the laws of CT. Avoid the pitfall of just copying someone else's contract because it sounds good, without having it professionally reviewed.

One of the common mistakes that I have observed are guys starting out in the business as a one-man operation, thinking that because it is just them, and they are small, they don't need to pay attention to the business details. Run your business from day one as if it will someday be large, even if you intend to always stay a one-man operation. Always be professional, educate yourself about local laws and ordinances that will affect your business, price your services to make a profit, learn about the various tools available for snow removal, and keep up with new ideas and products.

We wish you the best in your new snow adventures! :waving:

3. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Where in Ct are you from? I am in the Norwich area, and I would be happy to go over any ? you might have if you are near me. Call me at 860-608-1842 any time. Love to talk snow.
    Dino

4. lw4259

lw4259 Junior Member

work with contract or not

by the respond i an not sure if members work with a contract or not. Do you?

5. wyldman

wyldman Member

Welcome to Plowsite. :waving:

Most of the people on here are using some form of a contract.I think the reason you don't see a lot of people offering up copies of their contracts,is we don't want others to see them.We have spent a lot of time and money writing up contracts to better serve our customers and protect ourselves,why should we just hand them out ?

6. ROSELAWN

ROSELAWN Member

AMEN, WYLDMAN!:bluebounc :drinkup:

7. lw4259

lw4259 Junior Member

contract

Your point is taken if you spent monies creating your contract. then can i assume if i want to create a contract i should consult a lawyer or did you find another way.

I belong to a lawn forum often they share information on lawn contracts. We dont all live in the same area so perhaps they dont see it as an issue this forum has here.

I hope to be around this forum for awhile, an sharing of information is why i can here.

8. wyldman

wyldman Member

Sorry,that may have been a little harsh,but you get the idea.I'm always game for helping someone out with something,but I'm not just going to hand over a copy.

9. hoot

hoot Senior Member
    from SE Pa.

You hand them out to every customer don't you?:nod: