1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looking for Reviews on Drop Spreader (Saltdogg WB200 vs Meyer Hotshot)

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by derekbroerse, Oct 2, 2014.

1. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Does anyone actually use a drop spreader for sidewalk work? I currently have Saltdogg Broadcast spreaders which work ok but you have to walk very very slowly (which no one ever wants to do so they spread over the gardens and half the driveway...)

I am looking at "SaltDogg Walk-Behind Drop Spreader - 200-Lb. Capacity, Model# WB400" specifically, yet can find very little in the way of reviews on it. Does anyone here have experience with it? Can it run (treated) bulk salt by chance?

How does it compare to the similarly sized Meyer HotShot Stainless Steel unit? The Meyer is about twice the price... and I can't say I EVER hear real praise about Meyer products...

2. born2farm

born2farm 2000 Club Member

I have one of the wb400's. From my experience they are to wide. It takes almost 48in of clear walks to push them. We bought it in hopes of using them on our apartment complexes, but they are too wide. I also don't believe you will get treated bulk to flow very well. We have only ran a screened blended product through it though.

The spreader is build nice. Just need big walks to make it productive.

3. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

http://www.meyerproducts.com/spreaders/hotshot100.aspx

This is the Meyer I'm talking about to compare to it. 36" wide instead of 45"... all stainless, very purrrrty but $760!!!!! (note: haven't shopped around for it, that's an ebay price)

4. born2farm

born2farm 2000 Club Member

Ya the Meyer would probably fit better on most walks, I just have a hard time spending that much on spreaders that get thrown in and out of our box vans all night. We went to all cheap broadcast spreaders and use mud flaps to make deflectors. We only use the drop spreader at one large account.