1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looking for reputable crate engine

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by StangDude, Aug 26, 2002.

1. StangDude

StangDude Junior Member
    from MA

Like so many others on this board, my 85 Chevy 4x4 350, auto has developed a low oil pressure condition (about 127k miles). I am leaning toward doing a crate engine replacement rather than a machine shop rebuild. Does anyone know of a reputible supplier they could recommend? Obviously I could go with a GM replacement, but figure that would be a lot more money than an aftermarket rebuild shop. Anyone have an opinion that may have gone through this before?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

Don't be too quick to assume that a GM engine is going to be more money. I've done two over the years and the Goodwrench engine was comparably priced to a commercial rebuild and was all new. You're in MA, check with Alderman Chevrolet in Rutland, VT. They have usually killer prices on new GM engines.

I just called them to inquire about a TBI 350 for one of our trucks. Bare engine is 2105, not as good as I thought.

3. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Check out Jasper. I have one (350) in my 80 GMC. Go to their site and look for a local dealer. VERY reputable rebuilder, out of Jasper, Indiana.

http://www.jasperengines.com/

(For what it's worth, I got a long block from them 4 years ago, at "shop cost", through a friend, which was $954.00)

~Chuck

4. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Yea, i agree with Chuck, ive heard nothing but good things about Jasper engines and transmissions. Mike