1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looking for Recommendation on the best single stage blower to buy

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Gman96, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Gman96

Gman96 Junior Member

Looking for Recommendation on the best single stage blower to buy for sidewalks and some small driveways.

Seems that almost all the manufactures are going 4-stroke, so that isn't an option, but what brands, models, widths, etc are you finding works best for you?
  2. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

3. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I second the Toro. We used to have a few Toro PowerLites but they didn't work for us so we bought the next size up. Still lite enough to carry around but very powerful. It will easily go through 4-6" of wetter snow and we've had them out several times in 8-10" powder with zero problems. Keep in mind, you can't run with them but we do a driveway thats very tight for a truck so a lot of the time our sidewalk guys would just snow blow it, the driveway is about 8-10ft wide and about 40-50ish ft long and it only took them about 10 minutes to do that and the walkways on an average snowfall. I guess the only downfall would be the width. Ours are only about 20" wide and about 16" tall. I think if your doing driveways with it on a regular basis, invest into a hitch, and carrying basket and look for a smaller 2 stage blower, the price is going to be about the same. I think we paid about 800 bucks for ours and our 2 stage blowers are Ariens 28" with 10hp engines and they were about 1,100.00
  4. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

My vote is for Toro.
  5. klem

klem Junior Member
    from Chicago

I've been very pleased with my Toro ccr1000. I've put it through hell for the past two seasons and I bought it used. I've only had trouble once, and that was last year when we had over 18" of snow (obviously). But if needed, will also get the ccr3000.
  6. mscincbus

mscincbus Junior Member

Toro for sure you can lift them in and out of your truck, they start, they move snow, buy used
  7. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 Junior Member

Just picked up two more Toro 221QR blowers, best single stage blower out there. Get one before there gone for good.
  8. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

9. peterng

peterng Senior Member

I've got 2 Toros now that see a lot of service and they have been flawless.

I was at the dealer the other day and now I'm really looking forward to picking up one of the new 4 stroke versions. A lot heavier but they say more power which would be nice. I never had a problem starting mine but they say the 4 stroke is a much more reliable starter.

I burn through 2 sets of paddles and 2 cutting edges in each machines per year. Those paddles are no fun to change out by yourself.
  10. 97f250Heavyduty

97f250Heavyduty Senior Member

I run toro 2 strokes, and will only run toro 2 stroke machines. Find a 221 for sale. They dont make the 2 stroke snow blowers new anymore but are excellent machines. I am not a fan of the new 4 cycle toro single stage.
  11. f250guy

f250guy Junior Member

I just got a toro !!
  12. DodgerFan

DodgerFan Senior Member

Also Toro...& 2 stage Ariens