1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

looking for professional input

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by gotLBZ?, Oct 31, 2006.

1. gotLBZ?

gotLBZ? Junior Member

I have alot of commercial customers looking for "one stop shopping" & would like me to offer plowing too my services. I have the trucks now 2006 Chevy 2500HD's Reg Cab Long Beds 6.6L DMAX w/ Allison 6spd w/plow prep package (HD alternator dual battery pre drilled frame and wiring ) Done alot of plowing in past only with full trip steel Fisher's bein on east coast thats the way it is ..I would like to try something poly/trip edge/chainless scissor lift. Like the Boss super duty 8' poly trip edge & Hiniker c plow or scoop). I will be doin 9 200-400 car capacity lots on NH seacoast. Id like you experts thoughts on these plows on these trucks and can one man do all this himself ? My main concern is reliability & efficiancy.. thanks a bunch ...

2. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

With that much plowing to do I would get a small loader with a box on it. At the very least you'll want a v plow. Your windrows will get too big and you'll have to cut them down with either the loader or the V plow.

3. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Seems like alot of lots for a one man gang. What happens if it snows at 3 am? Will you be able to have all of the lots plowed and opened by 9am? That will be the answer to your question. If you want to lose customers don't have there lots plowed when they get to work. DO NOT BITE OFF MORE THAN YOU CAN CHEW.

Regards Mike

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I'd like to see that full-trip Fisher plow.

5. gotLBZ?

gotLBZ? Junior Member

thanks for input !

Thanks for the input ! ...More like a 3 man team operation or loader for that many lots ? If I go with scoop or v's I will be reducing alot of high side spillage and windrows correct ? ..would it make more sense using both trucks and only doing 4-5 of the lots ?
    As for the Fisher its in the trash with the 79 f250 it was on :D ...thanks

6. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

He was referring to the fact that Fisher is a trip edge only plow. No full trip with Fisher. Any self respecting plow guy should know the difference.;)

7. Mick

from Maine

I will give you $1000 for a full-trip Fisher - trashed or not.

8. 4x4Farmer

4x4Farmer Senior Member

Everyone keeps talking about taking on to many accounts, and the problem of early morning snow and not getting them done in time. I dont get why your customers get mad if you dont get there by the time they open, dont they understand that you cant be everywhere at once. We run 8 machines, 3 pickups and 5 loaders, we have 42 commercial accounts, on the avrage 4 inch snow we get here, it takes us about 13 hours to compleate. If it dosent stop snowing till 3am, we just go out and hit the main drives in all the places,.Or if it keeps snowing, we do the same thing, just keep the places open, not all cleaned out. Then we come back the next night once all the cars are gone, and we clean the lot. I have never ran into a customer that does not understand that, once you explain it to them. I do understand that if you run one rig and to many accounts, it might be hard to keep them open, but I just dont think its a problem not to be there on time if it dident stop snowing till 3am. If they dont understand that tell them to shove it, and find a new account in his place! ok, im done, im going to the bar! :drinkup:

9. gotLBZ?

gotLBZ? Junior Member

Im well aware of that fact but you forgot the "redneck" factor ...people do some strange/dum/idiotic stuff..plow was custom chop job i bought from pike ...sorry to let you down :rolleyes:

10. Mick

from Maine

That's ok. I don't feel "let down". I'd like to see a picture. That would be quite a "chop job" turning a trip edge plow into a full trip. Not sure what you mean by redneck factor, but I'd like to see what they did. I might want to do it myself.

11. gotLBZ?

gotLBZ? Junior Member

Im not here to ruffle any feathers or annoy anybody i told you i was new to commercial plowin so i dont understand alot of things yet ...i understand you think im dreamin bout the fisher and thats cool too u can say it lol belive me no big deal...i will look for some pix cuz ill never hear the end of it otherwise and maybe it would help ya if you truly were interested in seeing it or how they modified it ...thanks to the few that gave me some input on my actual questions ...