1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looking for plowing tips

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Polarisjunky, Jan 26, 2016.

1. Polarisjunky

Polarisjunky Junior Member

I am new to the forum and looking for some plowing trick and techniques. I have read thru all 41 pages of the jeep forums.

I currently have a 72 CJ 5 with a 304-3 speed manual. I believe it is a 7ft meyer plow. I have not seen another like it on any other jeeps. I currently have about 900 lbs of sand in the back.

I only plow my drive way at my cabin in Northern Michigan.

I would like to know if I have too much weight in the back?

I am thinking of going with tire chains to help with traction. Thoughts?

This pic is before adding any weight. Now it is level when the blade is lifted.

Thanks for the help

72 CJ5.jpg
  2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Should be good with that amount.
    More is gooder....up to a point tho.

Have you plowed with the weight yet?
  3. Polarisjunky

I have plowed with the weight. I still tend to spin out side ways or the plow blade would track toward the blade angle with the truck following in that direction.

I wanted to add chains to help with traction.
  4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

You might want to look into skinnier tires.
    Looks like they are on the wider side.
  5. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

x2 on that one.

Tires that "float" on mud also "float" on snow. And the term "float" when it comes to traction for plowing is another term for suck Thumbs Up

Tall and skinny brother tall and skinny
  6. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Instead of 900 lbs of ballast how about being it is only your own driveway why not just go out every 2 inches and plow with the storm.
  7. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

You understand the concept of ballast is to offset the weight of the blade right?

Something as light as a jeep, I can say that I would never think of not having ballast for shear safety reasons.
  8. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

I used to plow with the same set up . Never put that much weight in it though.Had skinny snow tires on it and it would do the same thing , Jeep would push sideways off the pile . Best bet is to plow with the storm if possible . Chains on all four would help . Miss that old jeep .
  9. Polarisjunky

I don't live there, so I cannot plow with the storm. I try to get up there every week or two. I may look into purchasing a tractor with a loader in the future. I had some help last go round. My first time getting stuck. Did I mention I am a rookie at this.

jeep stuck.jpg
  10. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Narrow tire's like a 7.50-15 with an aggressive tread will be a huge help. The CJ being light to begin with the wider tire are killing you, keep the ballast in it.
    If you chain up the tires you have on it be aware the Dana 30 is a small diff and the 304 under the hood will start snapping half shafts in the diff and you could also snap the front drive shaft if you're not careful.
  11. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

900 lbs ???

Wow !

I have a 3/4 ton diesel dodge, and I only run 500 lbs in the back. IMO, you're way over the capacity of that vehicle and are asking for breakage issues from all that beef in the back.

Or maybe those older jeeps are tougher than I would imagine wesportwesport