1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looking for plowing technique info

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by Clint, Sep 3, 2007.

1. Clint

Clint Member

Newbie here never used a plow before, is there any information on this site that would
    give me some info on plowing techniques etc? I'm especially looking for info on
    plowing large piles of snow/slush left at the ends of a driveway by State plows.
    How to attack this pile coming out of my driveway from a upward hill angle?

Clint

2. RipT

RipT Senior Member

Clint, In most places they do not like people plowing snow out onto a public road from a driveway.....in many places it is illegal. That said, if the road in question is very lightly traveled, pushing one blade-full completely across the roadway may not cause problems.

One then would get turned around and plow back into the drive and push the snow off to one side and/or the other. Every situation is somewhat different, and in some cases your only option may be to exit the drive without pushing any snow, turn around and plow in from the roadway and off to the sides.

Best not to let the berm get a chance to harden if possible, even if it means plowing it several times per snow event. One should aim to maintain reasonable momentum when plowing, but smooth & steady is better than ram & cram. Low range is easier on your vehicle also. Have at least one set of chains available and don't hesitate to use them before you get stuck. Three to four hundred pounds of ballast in the back will also help immensly. Push back further than you may think necessary as you may not be able to make room for future snow later on otherwise. Set marker sticks if you have culverts or other things you do not want to hit or fall into or off of.

You may also want to consider a good 10+ HP heavy duty walk-behind snowblower with chains or tracks in addition to your truck plow. You can then deal with pretty much anything.

God Luck !!

Last edited: Sep 3, 2007
  3. Clint

Clint Member

Ok... thanks for this info ... this road I live on is a State road, and can be busy at times...
    My first couple times out will give me an idea what I need to do to avoid running snow out into the road. I'll most likely have to backdrag an opening, then get exit the driveway get turned around, and then clear away the remaining berm.

Thanks,
    Clint

4. jkitterman

jkitterman Senior Member

You need to keep the shoulder cleaned off next to the road before the drive way. A good 20-30 feet shold do it. As the plow goes by on the road, the snow should be pushed into this cleared area and leave a lot less in your driveway.